Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anybody use Time4Learning?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 7:45 AM
  • 10 Replies

Has anyone used Time4Learning?  Especially for 6th grade and up.  

Thanks!!

by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 7:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 8:49 AM
I have but I didn't find it worth the cost for me. We use a living book approach so it cut into my book budget. I know some people really like it. I just found it lacking in the science department. The English part was good in the younger grades. I would just try it and see if you like it. I think my kids prefer to do most of their learning through books. Are you thinking of using it as a supplement.
noraa21
by Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 3:26 PM

I used it for 6th grade as my regular curricululm for a while.  My son loved the language arts part of it, but hated the math part, which is funny because he loves math and hates language arts.  It was okay, but I just felt some subjects could have gone into more depth, but then we only used for a few months while we were in between things and moving.

baileyquarters
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 3:32 PM

I use it for my 3rd and 1st grader.  For my first grader, the language arts are too easy for her, so we're just trying to get through it without her getting bored.  I feel the math moves a little fast in some places.  There isn't much time for us to review and practice certain things, but I think that mostly has to do with my time management.  If I spaced things out differently, I think it would work better.

Overall, I like it.  It's really driven by them, and other than forcing them to commit to schoolwork when they really don't want to do it, its easy for them to go on and do the stuff themselves, if they're motivated.  I also like that they keep records, and grade their work so if I want to put them back into the public school system, I have records.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 10:49 PM

A girl I tutored used it. I wouldn't touch it after that, frankly. It is ridiculously easy to cheat and for the kids to simply float through, without retaining anything.

For the cost (roughly $200/year at $20/month for, say, 10 months), you could buy much, much, much better quality curricula.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

95seahawk
by New Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 7:16 AM

Thanks everyone for the information.  

I would be using it mostly as a supplement in Language Arts to finish out the rest of this school year.  We may look at the history and science to see if it has anything to add to our current curriculum but I doubt we even try the math.  

As far as the cost, I agree that the $200 this would cost for an entire year could be better spent but since we only have 3 1/2 months left to our year I'll only be out $80.  

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:17 AM
I don't know much about it but here's a bump.
Codysmom2106
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:30 AM

We use it...as a supplement. Some areas my son needs to be a grade above and others he is on second grade. Thankfully it's only part of what we use because it is definitely lacking in science and social studies. 

dougiesmom
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 12:27 PM

They were running a special to get the first month free, so you wouldn't even be out that much if that's still available. 

We used it for about three months year before last when we got burned out on our original curriculum and  I was looking for something new. I had a first and second grader, and it was great for them, but not worth the money. It was good as a short term fill-in, but since it's internet based, there were several days we had to call off school because our internet would go out. (We have since gotten more reliable internet.) There were also a lot of worksheets to print. (A. LOT.) After Time 4 Learning, we moved to Switched-On Schoolhouse, which is computer-based, but doesn't require internet connection, since both kids liked working on the computers so much.

Quoting 95seahawk:

Thanks everyone for the information.  

I would be using it mostly as a supplement in Language Arts to finish out the rest of this school year.  We may look at the history and science to see if it has anything to add to our current curriculum but I doubt we even try the math.  

As far as the cost, I agree that the $200 this would cost for an entire year could be better spent but since we only have 3 1/2 months left to our year I'll only be out $80.  

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 3, 2014 at 1:34 PM

We used it years ago, I think it is a good program but it is just like any other program some kids love it & some hate it!

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 1:45 PM

We checked into it - twice, I believe - and found it seriously lacking, and moved on. Our neighbor's son (5th grade) uses it exclusively, and I seriously worry about what that kid is learning... which makes me sound like the terrible nosy neighbors homeschoolers hate! HAHA! :) But really, his education does seem to be pretty far behind typical for his age. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)