Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

So frustrated

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 1:47 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

So I am about 5 months in to homeschooling my daughter and I have noticed I am constantly struggling with "I don't know the sound an S makes" "I don't know that number" and when I write the letter U she insists it the letter V. I know that she knows these things, she knew them last month. She struggles with holding attention and refuses to remember anything. HELP!!!!!! What do I do to fix this problem? I am at the point where I just want to give up and put her back in public school. She just doesn't care! (BTW she will be 6 in May)

by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 2, 2014 at 1:58 PM

I would make it as fun as possible. Just keep her engaged and it will come.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 2:17 PM
kids learn by going over and over things. They also learn best when they are engaged and have fun. All kids are different. My youngest it took him a year to remember something we have been going over. Remember how much their brains are growing every day and being reorganized. They need time to digest what they are learning. Teach without expectations. When a kid is 5 I would concentrate on creating a desire to learn over how much they are learning. I had to learn this the hard way. There are times when it seems like they are learning very slowly and then all of a sudden they will take off like a rocket. I am sure she is doing great. Remember to keep seat work short at this age and make as hands on as you can. Reading together should make the bulk of your activities together.
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 2:39 PM

My son HATES going over things the same way all the time.  We mix it up, learning the same things different ways.  If my son already knows and knows it well, he will purposely say wrong thing because he is bored.

New-mom-3-2008
by New Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 4:00 PM

silverkitty That's how I feel, I really think she just acts like she doesn't get it so we wont do the work. I KNOW that she knows it.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 5:27 PM

I would change it up a bit then, have her lead you on what she wants to work on for a little while and then go back over things as a review.  Something along the lines of how many of these can you name and such.  Make it a game.

At this age it's more about fun than learning facts.  The facts will come.

Quoting New-mom-3-2008:

silverkitty That's how I feel, I really think she just acts like she doesn't get it so we wont do the work. I KNOW that she knows it.

tntmom1027
by Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 9:14 PM

My son is 6 and we deal with similar issues. One example is we have been learning about the 3 states of matter the past week for science. If my husband asks him outright what the 3 states are and about each he says he doesn't know. 

We had a "camp out" in our living room last night. I was still laying on the couch waking up and my husband and son were in the kitchen. My husband had started a pot of water to a boil(to warm up the house). My son started telling him(unprompted) that the steam is one state of matter(gas) and that there are 3 states of matter..and he went on for a minute or so about the different types etc. Yet had he asked him any other time my Son would most likely have said he didn't know. 

My point is there are times where you may think she is learning nothing but she really is. Just try and go at it a different way. Ask her in the store if she can find any letters...make it a game. 

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 5:59 AM

Make a game of it.  I created Ring Around The Phonics to solve problems like this. 

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 7:37 AM

i wonder if you just want to lay off the direct and explicit type of lessons. Have her do some Starfall.com every day. Read alound every day. Do drawing every day, a craft, some puzzles, games that involve counting. 5 - almost 6 - is still so young. I would try not to freak out that this means something is amiss with your dd (I know, difficult as a parent not to obsess and worry!!)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 7:40 AM
I agree with everyone else. It can drive you crazy but don't give up!
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 3, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I also agree with the others. Making it fun is so important at her age!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)