Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Flexible, COMPLETE online curriculum?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 5:36 PM
  • 8 Replies

I'm burnt out.  I work 4 days a week outside of the home and I homeschool 3 children under the age of 9 and also have another child in a private school.  My nights are filled with lesson planning, checking work, and reviewing/teaching concepts.  I'd love to find a complete online curriculum (one that doesn't involve online teachers).  Something flexible that I can still oversee but won't have to lesson plan.  Instead I can focus on fun activities, projects, field trips to go along with what they are learning.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Jilectan
by Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 8:19 PM

I use Robinson Curriculum. It's a basic 3R type curriculum. It uses Saxon Math, although a lot of Robinson uses sub in their own math of choice, a lot of writing and a lot of reading. The main component is the self-teaching aspect. The idea is your kids learn to learn, so they can self-teach themselves pretty much anything. There are a lot of success stories out there from people who have used this method. There are also a few different curriculums that use the methods, I just prefer the Robinson one. You can add on whatever else is needed for you to feel it is complete, like foreign language and all the other things you were talking about doing.

It's working really well for us, so far.

ETA: I forgot to add, it's not an online thing. You buy the disks from the website, then everything you need is on them. Some of the others of the same type are online, though, like A2.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:20 AM
Here's a bump. I don't know but I hope you find something.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 12:20 PM

That doesn't sound too bad at all. How much is it?

Quoting Jilectan:

I use Robinson Curriculum. It's a basic 3R type curriculum. It uses Saxon Math, although a lot of Robinson uses sub in their own math of choice, a lot of writing and a lot of reading. The main component is the self-teaching aspect. The idea is your kids learn to learn, so they can self-teach themselves pretty much anything. There are a lot of success stories out there from people who have used this method. There are also a few different curriculums that use the methods, I just prefer the Robinson one. You can add on whatever else is needed for you to feel it is complete, like foreign language and all the other things you were talking about doing.

ETA: I forgot to add, it's not an online thing. You buy the disks from the website, then everything you need is on them. Some of the others of the same type are online, though, like A2.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Jilectan
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:12 AM

It's $195 for the basic one, which is what I have, and $275 for the one with the Henty collection, which is a collection of adventure books for kids who are a little older. 12 and up, I think. You can get most of them online, so I figured it wasn't a big deal. I was given mine, so I didn't actually pay for it.

The math curriculum is extra, of course, since you have to get it separately. I'm getting them used via Amazon, for now, so I've been spending about $10/level. There's all the usual materials, of course, that you'd be getting no matter what you were using. Pencils and such. You're supposed to print out the books, but I've just been putting them on a tablet for my DS. There's no way I could afford printing all those books or buying hard copies of them, so that's keeping costs down, for me.

Accelerated Achievement is $100 plus s&h. I don't know as much about that one, sorry.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting Jilectan:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Is that for a full year per child?

And that's pretty smart. I'm always looking for ways to keep costs down myself.

Quoting Jilectan:

It's $195 for the basic one, which is what I have, and $275 for the one with the Henty collection, which is a collection of adventure books for kids who are a little older. 12 and up, I think. You can get most of them online, so I figured it wasn't a big deal. I was given mine, so I didn't actually pay for it.

The math curriculum is extra, of course, since you have to get it separately. I'm getting them used via Amazon, for now, so I've been spending about $10/level. There's all the usual materials, of course, that you'd be getting no matter what you were using. Pencils and such. You're supposed to print out the books, but I've just been putting them on a tablet for my DS. There's no way I could afford printing all those books or buying hard copies of them, so that's keeping costs down, for me.

Accelerated Achievement is $100 plus s&h. I don't know as much about that one, sorry.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting Jilectan:

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Jilectan
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually, it's for starting at about 4th grade, or whenever their reading and comprehension level is adequate, through 12th, for as many children as you have. So, it's a really great deal.  It was put together by a scientist, a professor of chemistry, and is geared at getting kids ready for science in college. It includes some college level physics books, even. The Mechanical Universe and Beyond the Mechanical Universe.

The book list is made up of older books that are out of copyright. You can get most of them from Gutenberg.org or archive.org. That's actually the problem a lot of people have with this system. Because of when they were written, they do include a lot of religious references. If you want to check out the book list it's online: http://www.hstreasures.com/rc/booklist.html. Apparently, there are some people who don't like it because of the religious references in some of the books, and some people who don't like it because it doesn't include a religious study portion. <shrug> You can't please everyone, right?

It's working for us. I was totally stressed out before I switched. Getting my kids to do anything was always a battle. Now, well, it's still not always easy, but it's a lot easier than it was. My son is the only one of my three who's really gotten into it, so far, but now that I'm not fighting to make him do his work, I can concentrate on the ones who need more one on one attention, like my struggling reader and my preschooler.

It is just a 3R type curriculum, though. Foreign language, art, music, and such are considered extracurriculars and the responsibility of the parent. I'm just starting to look into getting my ds started on a foreign language. I might have him use one of those free online things, like Mango. My library system has that for free. I don't know when I'll get my older dd started on that, probably after she's learned to readl. We're making progress on that, though.

Quoting paganbaby:

Is that for a full year per child?

And that's pretty smart. I'm always looking for ways to keep costs down myself.

Quoting Jilectan:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting Jilectan:

LoriAlane8
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:50 PM

K12 is a complete online curriculum and you can purchase it and use it independant of a Virtual Charter School. I remeber back in 2000 I felt the same as you, however, I had only one child at the time but was spending too much time in the evening deciding what we were going to do the next day and how much needed to be done, etc., etc. That is when I came across K12. Great curriculum and all planned out for you. And if you purchase it and use it as your homeschool curriculum you can be as flexible as you want!

midwestmom1977
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Google something called "Easy Peasy All-in-one-Homeschool".  It sounds dumb but it's free and it's what we are using right now due to our financial situation. They also have a Facebook support group for people using this curriculum.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)