Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How old were your kids when they learned the preamble to the constitution? 

by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 6:14 PM
Replies (11-17):
mommaof697
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 4:45 PM

my kids were between 3-5th grade. I taught several it at the same time. I taught my kids the 50 states and their capitals one year then the preamble the next along with the ammendments.

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Okay thanks ladies! We've not really studied it yet, my daughter is 12. We've gone over it a couple of times, but I haven't made her memorize it or anything of that nature. I didn't learn it until I was in 10th grade so I never thought of really covering it until highschool. One of my sister's kids knows it and he is younger than my daughter. It kinda made me feel like we might be behind a little. 

victoriaherring
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter hasn't learned it yet, but I was in middle school when I learned it. We used the school house rock song and I still sing it every time I go to say the preamble.
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Schoolhouse Rock has a preamble song. It's really good. It leaves out one part I think so you might want to point that out - I think It says "We the people" and leaves out 'of the United States,' but the rest is the same. All of my kids know that song but they don't really know/understand what the constitution is about, fully.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this
redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:08 AM
I learned it when I was in the 7th or 8th grade. The teacher made the class memorize it.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Well, I think around 7 or 8/9. That was with my older kids. Now I am working with my younger kids.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)