Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Finally decided on curriculum :)

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 6:56 PM
  • 10 Replies
heres our plan for the upcoming year.

3rd grader-
math- singapore us edutions 3a & 3b
language arts- growing with grammar level 3
writing- winning with words level 3
spelling- soaring with spelling level 3
science- apologia botany with jr notebook
reading- library
social studies- little passports usa

1st grader-
math- singapore us editions 1a & 1b
language arts- growing with grammar level 1
writing- winning with words level 1
spelling- soaring with spelling level 1
science- apologia botany with jr notebook (very lightly)
reading- teach your child to read in 100 lessons (starting tomorrow to be ready for fall)
social studies- little passports usa

how does that look? any suggestions or recommendations? Am I missing anything?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 8:18 PM
I am not familiar with little passports. Does it include history books and geography? I would add biographies and history books from the library.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:33 AM
Looks good.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:33 AM
8)
katyq
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Teaching the arts increases a child's iq btw :p but that looks good to me :) I have heard wonderful things about "Teaching your child to read in 100 easy lessons". I can't wait to start it with my almost 4 year old. We aren't quite there yet though.

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 7:04 PM
I'm using the Growing with Grammar, Winning with Writing and Soaring with Spelling. I am really not fond of these curriculums. THe Growing with Grammar is ok and the Winning with Writing is ok ut Soaring with Spelling is horrible. I would consider Sequential Spelling or All About Spelling. Also First Language Lessons might be a better option than Growing with Grammar. I'm going to use for writing, Write Shop. I really liked Teach your Child o Read n 100 Easy Lessons. It got my child over the hump (learning to put sounds together to make words) but it moved to slow. We use Explode the Code now and I use it with my will be 3rd grader as well. Anyway that would be my advice. Other than that it looks good. Good luck with whatever you choose :)
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 2:40 PM
Looks good to me. Love Apologia.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 2:47 PM
I have apologia anatomy. My kids are k, 4th, and 6th.

If your kids are strong readers and writers for their ages, I would switch to the regular notebook. The jr notebook is just simpler and replaces some of the work with coloring pages.

If they are more even keel or struggling a little with writing independently, then stick with the jr notebooks.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 4:18 PM
I attended an expo and Apologia was there I recall hearing that botany was a little harder for some younger students. I have the book but went with astronomy and human anatomy first after flipping thru the botany one. Just a thought.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 4:18 PM
my dd is 4
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 4:19 PM
I skipping the notebook part for now I have it but will come back to it when she is a better writer
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)