Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Letter and number reversals

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 8:01 PM
  • 8 Replies

I think I've mentioned before that my daughter is having problems with letter and number reversals. I know I responded to a post about teaching cursive. Anyway, we're working on cursive writing with my dd and she's doing pretty well with it. No more letter reversals. Number reversals, otoh, she's still doing. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with number reversals? Her most commonly reversed numbers are 2, 3, 4, and 5.

by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Jilectan
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:52 AM

BUMP!

cjsix
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:56 AM

I have a couple of kidswho when younger reversed those too. Just continue to gently show her the correct direction...maybe even just write them correctly when you write them. Over time they will get them right.

Jilectan
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:52 AM

How young were they? My dd is going to be 8 at the end of April.

Quoting cjsix:

I have a couple of kidswho when younger reversed those too. Just continue to gently show her the correct direction...maybe even just write them correctly when you write them. Over time they will get them right.

opinionatedmom
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:03 AM
Look up dyslexia. She is old enough to be tested. One of the sites has 36 symptoms. My son has 21 of them. But not sure what kind of doctor test for it. I am still trying to get a diagnosis

Quoting Jilectan:

How young were they? My dd is going to be 8 at the end of April.

Quoting cjsix:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Its acually extremely normal to write thing backwards.

Practice practice practice.

Maybe for the trouble ones, make them into easily recognized pictures.

For example, some one made the suggestion once to make the number five in a thick black marker and decorate it to look like a chef. The top being the chef hat and the circle part becoming his face. Hang it in front of the child's desk and have them form the number a few times for practice for a few days in a row. When/if they write it backwards use keywords like, "which way does the chef face?" And have them correct their error.

When you see this less, move onto another tricky one.
Jilectan
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 3:12 PM

I'll give that a shot, thanks.

What I've been doing is have her put a line through the ones that are facing the wrong way and write it again facing the right way.

Quoting KrissyKC: Its acually extremely normal to write thing backwards. Practice practice practice. Maybe for the trouble ones, make them into easily recognized pictures. For example, some one made the suggestion once to make the number five in a thick black marker and decorate it to look like a chef. The top being the chef hat and the circle part becoming his face. Hang it in front of the child's desk and have them form the number a few times for practice for a few days in a row. When/if they write it backwards use keywords like, "which way does the chef face?" And have them correct their error. When you see this less, move onto another tricky one.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 7, 2014 at 3:57 PM
I have a few kids that do that. I, myself, do it on occasion.
I just remind them how it is supposed to face and help them, if necessary.

It's all about how the brain is wired and how they perceive what their eyes are seeing. One day, it will just click and they will do it the right way without even thinking about it.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 4:05 PM
check out handwriting without tears program online see if they have a webinar on it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN