Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

From which month to which month does your school year run?

Posted by   + Show Post
We start in July with a light schedule and run until mid May. We usually have a large break during Christmas.
How about you?
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:39 AM
Replies (31-40):
soon2bmomof2grs
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:04 PM

School is suppose to start the 8th of Aug this year (though many people are arguing that it is too early, it use to start the 27-28th of Aug every year, but has been moved up the last few years). They end the 1-2 week of June (End of May for seniors). We have about a week break for winter and a week for spring (spring break starts the 17th of this month... We have like 4-6 inches of snow and ice right now, lol).

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I know! It's so hard to think about summer surrounded by all this cold!

Quoting soon2bmomof2grs:

School is suppose to start the 8th of Aug this year (though many people are arguing that it is too early, it use to start the 27-28th of Aug every year, but has been moved up the last few years). They end the 1-2 week of June (End of May for seniors). We have about a week break for winter and a week for spring (spring break starts the 17th of this month... We have like 4-6 inches of snow and ice right now, lol).

Jlee4249
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Year around.  The only thing that breaks it up is when I have to turn in our curriculum plan and turn in grades.  So I guess I plan to finish the previously planned curriculum by the time the next deadline.  We do way more days than required by the school system, but that also allows me to not feel guilty when someone is sick or taking off for someone's birthday or whatever.  

blondentexan
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:20 PM
We'll go year round, too. Longer breaks and more time for field trips. We're stationed at Langley AFB, so we'll be doing early American history this summer and hit a lot of the Revolutionary War battle fields and historic towns.

Quoting mem82: We start in July with a light schedule and run until mid May. We usually have a large break during Christmas.
How about you?
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:52 PM
Roughly August-May. We loosely follow public school's calendar because that dictates when the pools/amusement parks are open, when summer camps are happening, etc.

We take a couple of week or two breaks throughout the year, but like having 6-8 weeks TOTALLY off for pure summer fun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahNElijah
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:59 PM
Last year we schooled through the summer with the plan to take only Aug off, but then my FIL had a stroke, so our whole free month was filled with family flying in, hospital visits etc., and by Sept I was exhausted!! So this year we are planning on working through the end of June and enjoying some good old fashion unschooling for the summer. :) We will probably start back around Labor Day or a week or so before. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:17 AM

This is our first year doing this, but we are running January to mid October.  It may be the end of October depending on what our Summer plans are.  My kids have been invited to stay with friends of ours that live out of state for 2 weeks, so that may set us back.

Mweddle
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:30 AM

I plan on finishing this first grade math book and then letting her have a "summer break"  IDK when we will finish this book so we may go year long on math for this year.  We will start back up when public schools start back up.  We've also planned an awesome "field" trip!  :D  I'm so excited! (road trip through Cali!) 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

That field trip sounds awesome!

Quoting Mweddle:

I plan on finishing this first grade math book and then letting her have a "summer break"  IDK when we will finish this book so we may go year long on math for this year.  We will start back up when public schools start back up.  We've also planned an awesome "field" trip!  :D  I'm so excited! (road trip through Cali!) 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 6:31 PM
I think in missouri its either the last day in june for the end of the school year and the first day of july as the first day of the next year for official purposes. However you set your own schedules.

We are pretty changeable. One year will bleed into the next and then another time we have a long summer break. I just don't have any set routines.

We don't really unschool. I think if I could coin a phrase... I'd say we "open" school. At least regarding our schedule.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN