Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

HELP!!! lol

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 12:33 PM
  • 11 Replies

I need some advice on how to start my children in home school, I feel this has been put on me by God.I feel that they are unsafe. A little  boy brought a gun to school Friday and showed my kids. He also had drugs and alchol, this kid is only in 6th grade!!!!! My ex husband is gving me conflict, and is not being supportive of my decision, but I feel this is what needs to be done, my daughter said EVERYONE talks about drugs in their class.But at the same time, I wonder if homeschooling could be negative and counter productive, because of being too sheltered, and wonder if it could cause them to act out and be lost in the real world when its time to enter into it.  And maybe in turn go wild and then try drugs and other activities.  Opinions?

remembrancephotography. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Something I read a long time ago, when my own cousins were struggling with drugs at public school, was that the very best thing you could do for your children was to remove them from that kind of environment.  My one cousin is dead and his brother is in and out of prison suffering from Hep C.  I would choose sheltered and innocent over that any day.  ANY DAY.

That said, conflict between you and your ex isn't desirable, either.  Tough situation.  I'm in favor of removing them from what seems to be a bad situation.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 3, 2014 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Have you checked your state's homeschooling laws yet? Then the next thing to do would be to learn what learning style your children have.
What about homeschooling is your ex finding difficult to go along with?
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 3, 2014 at 1:32 PM
2 moms liked this

I think what you fear can happen to all children regardless of where they get their education! I know of young adults that had very controlling parents that attended public school & the moment they turned 18 they where smoking, getting piercing/tattoos & going to clubs & drinking all because they where now adults & their parents could not tell them what to do anymore. So I think regardless of if you chose to homeschool you should let your children have some control over there lives & let them make decisions now rather than controlling everything for them up to the time they become adults & they get over whelmed with the freedom they where denied as children.

As far as being sheltered, homeschoolers are as sheltered as they want to be! If you want them to have lots of activity's & interaction with others take them out & get them in to clubs, co-op classes & take a field trip every week.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 3, 2014 at 1:59 PM
Yes. Maybe the lesser of two difficult choices?......

Quoting hwblyf:

Something I read a long time ago, when my own cousins were struggling with drugs at public school, was that the very best thing you could do for your children was to remove them from that kind of environment.  My one cousin is dead and his brother is in and out of prison suffering from Hep C.  I would choose sheltered and innocent over that any day.  ANY DAY.

That said, conflict between you and your ex isn't desirable, either.  Tough situation.  I'm in favor of removing them from what seems to be a bad situation.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 4:58 PM

I totally agree with the control aspect.  A great deal of who we become, though, is influenced by those we're around.  And yeah, we all know the church going kids who rebelled and did things that made us scratch our heads.  But I don't think any of us scratch our heads when kids are immersed in a bad environment and choose that path, know what I mean?

Now I have to re-evaluate how controlling I am with my kids, though.  :)

Quoting usmom3:

I think what you fear can happen to all children regardless of where they get their education! I know of young adults that had very controlling parents that attended public school & the moment they turned 18 they where smoking, getting piercing/tattoos & going to clubs & drinking all because they where now adults & their parents could not tell them what to do anymore. So I think regardless of if you chose to homeschool you should let your children have some control over there lives & let them make decisions now rather than controlling everything for them up to the time they become adults & they get over whelmed with the freedom they where denied as children.

As far as being sheltered, homeschoolers are as sheltered as they want to be! If you want them to have lots of activity's & interaction with others take them out & get them in to clubs, co-op classes & take a field trip every week.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely.  And I know what that decision would be for me (I say that now because I'm not divorced but I do have drug issues plaguing my extended family).

Quoting kirbymom: Yes. Maybe the lesser of two difficult choices?......
Quoting hwblyf:

katyq
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a good friend who is a clinical social worker. I told her about my concerns over drugs and violence in schools and how that contributed to my desire to homeschool. She kind of scoffed and replied that there is no way that I can prevent my children from being exposed first hand to these things. It was baffling but made me realize, I needed to rely on my instincts as a mother and nothing else. Homeschooling is an amazing gift to give your children. I really urge you to do some research in the areas of your concern, like "sheltering" and socialization. I think you will be pleasantly suprised. :)

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Home educated children perform better in college, and on the entrance exams than public school children.  So they are usually very successful, and self motivated. 

As for sheltering, I suppose one could do that if they were too protective.  But there is so much opportunity in home school co-op groups to get your children around other children and adults of all ages.  I have noticed that most home educated children are better behaved than their public school counterparts too.  So it is really up to you.  

Why Home School 

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree that environment & the people in that environment can play a large roll in how we turn out but not always. I have known many loving, caring parent that where to controlling of their children & half of the children went wild. One of my best friends when I was a teenager had great parents but because of her older siblings getting in to trouble she was constantly under their thumb & guess what she became the worst of them all.

Quoting hwblyf:

I totally agree with the control aspect.  A great deal of who we become, though, is influenced by those we're around.  And yeah, we all know the church going kids who rebelled and did things that made us scratch our heads.  But I don't think any of us scratch our heads when kids are immersed in a bad environment and choose that path, know what I mean?

Now I have to re-evaluate how controlling I am with my kids, though.  :)

Quoting usmom3:

tntmom1027
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:45 PM

The drugs and guns in 6th grade don't shock me. I graduated from HighSchool 10 yrs ago(to give you idea of my age) and I started drinking and drugs at age 11. 

I agree with others. Homeschooling does not have to mean that they they are very(or overly) sheltered but even if it did I would take that alternative over the drugs/violence anyday. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN