Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Suggestions for My Kindergartener

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 6:47 PM
  • 12 Replies

My littlest really wasn't ready for kindergarten...I can see that now but now we are finishing out the year.  I want to homeschool him over the summer to re-prepare him for kindgergarten, which he will have to take over.   At this point in the year, even with one on one tutoring at school and us working with him at home, he still doesn't know all his letter sounds and is just starting to put together a few words.  I'm wondering about curriculum.  Any suggestions on reading curriculum?  

by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this

My 5yo LOVES Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons.  I hate it, it's slow moving, but he LOVES it, so we do it.  He's very proud of himself and being able to "read."  He still mixes up sounds because he's trying to just go through it, but when I make him really look at the letters, he usually gets it right.  He's not in kinder this year, and this reading thing is his idea.  He turned 5 in November.  But next year he wants to be in 1st.  No way is he ready!

oahoah
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:02 AM

I've been working with my 4 y/o from the suggestions in Ruth Beechick's book "The 3 R's", we have played a lot of alphabet games and he is reading a little and asking what certain letters spell. He is my youngest of 3 boys.

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:37 AM
We use Explode the Code
jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:27 AM
My kids used looney tunes phonics. It is online online phonics program that is a lot of fun and very educational. play lots of games, read a ton, and remember reading is very gradual. It will literally just turn on one day like a switch. Some kids also take a more gradual approach so you can see the progress more easily. Make it fun and he will do great. A lot of boys take longer in certain areas and then suddenly take off.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:28 AM
all about spelling
ablackdolphin
handwriting without tears
ablackdolphin
ooka island
ablackdolphin
reading eggs
amanda.lyn
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:57 PM
Following :-)
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 18, 2014 at 6:12 AM
Oak meadow is a great curriculum. As for reading specifically I am going to start with all about reading prelevel. My best advice though is don't push. They will read when they are capable of it. Pm any don't even start reading until age 7/8. We use the Waldorf method which has kindergarten start at age 6, first grade at age 7. So at age 7 they learn their letters and how to read.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN