Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Suggestions for My Kindergartener

My littlest really wasn't ready for kindergarten...I can see that now but now we are finishing out the year.  I want to homeschool him over the summer to re-prepare him for kindgergarten, which he will have to take over.   At this point in the year, even with one on one tutoring at school and us working with him at home, he still doesn't know all his letter sounds and is just starting to put together a few words.  I'm wondering about curriculum.  Any suggestions on reading curriculum?  

by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 6:47 PM
Replies (11-12):
GodsAmiga
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 6:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I have been using Logic of English and love it! :-) You an go as slowly or as quickly as your child wants and they give you several ways to make it very hands-on.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this

My little guy has blossomed using All About Reading and All About Spelling.
The pre level for their reading program does a letter a day basically. Since my little guy knew the majority of his letters for so long, we did both the capital and lower case letter each day along with their sounds (all three sections of the book done at once). Both are mastery based programs too.
Both break everything down phonetically and teach you the rules as to why the letters are saying what they say.
With my little guy, he gets really really bored with the fluency pages with the reading program level 1. After we do those for a day, I will switch him over to Starfall worksheets (Starfall.com - there are a ton of free resources in there if you dig you can get the entire workbook for reading for free). The starfall worksheets don't follow AAR, but it is easy enough to sit down and mark which pages will follow a lesson.
Also, with my little guy, he is not a fluent reader when we read the books in AAR, but I know he's reading a lot better than he's letting on because he has read to me boxes off the shelf at the grocery store, or has read signs on buildings - all things waaaay above what he's currently learned through the program.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)