Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How does it work in your house?

by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 7:44 AM
Replies (11-20):
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:29 AM

You don't want to know.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:37 AM
Now I am curious. LOL

Quoting Silverkitty:

You don't want to know.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:00 AM

My kids sometimes do their screen time concurrently, but we have one kids computer and the Wii, so the others are just watching their siblings.  They're allowed on the iPad during school, but I set them up on learning apps first, and then they get a few minutes of fun time.  If they watch each other during that time instead of doing their own work, that's their iPad time, too.  They don't like that.  :)

And totally they'll take advantage.  I'm fortunate that screen time isn't where my kids take advantage (though that may change in the coming years!).  My kids sneak my Hersheys.  :(  It's a hard position you're in with being out of the house, but needing them to follow the rules.  At least they're not playing with matches!

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

When I say 2 hours, they each get 2 hours, but that doesn't necessarily mean 4 hours total.  They do a lot together, so there shouldn't really be 4 hours of screen time overall...nor does it mean they each get 1 hour. 

I know they get bored sometimes when DH and I aren't around, and it's easy to just pick up the iPod and play for hours, I know they get lost in it.  And it's hard for them to self regulate, because really, what kid wouldn't take advantage if no parents are noticing? 

Quoting hwblyf:

We have not paid for television for about 8 years, so the kids don't have access to a lot of mindless stuff.  I'm also home more, so I can guide/dictate from a closer distance.  :)  We recently went to a token system where they have to earn their screen time by doing their chores.  I was TIRED of the fight over chores and them questioning why I was allowed on the iPad anytime I wanted.  So I explained that it was a way to relax, a way to decompress, and you don't need that time if you don't ever do anything except the things you want.  Wow, do I have kids booking to do things.

My problem is a bit different than yours.  "They" (and one day I want to be "they") recommend 2 hours, no more, of combined screen time a day.  Which limits my kids to about 25 minutes of gaming each (I have 5 kids).  Not a big deal to me.  But then they're done.  No movie, no internet, nothing.  And if I went the other end, each kid times 2 hours is 10 total hours of screen time in my house.  BLECH.  So we're still feeling our way around what works best for us.  But there are days there's no screen time, and I'm good with that.  I think they do need to figure out a way to entertain themselves that isn't screen based.  Take 'em camping for 3 weeks, they'll go through withdrawal, but then they'll get used to it.  Till they get home.  :)

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:46 PM

It's really hard for me to complain, because they are really good kids.  If the worst they do is watch too many cartoons, I'm not sure I can complain!  They don't watch shows they shouldn't (aside from Spongebob and cartoons I don't like....but they have always been allowed to watch those so trying to switch to educational stuff is kind of hard).  I think they eat a little more cookies and candies than they would if I was right there, but who doesn't? 

I know they are good kids, they have never gotten into things they shouldn't, they really never did a lot of the "bad" things most kids do.  I don't want to be super controlling, but I also don't want them wasting their brains on junky tv.  I know DD really zones out to it, like her brain completely shuts off, she doesn't even hear us call her name.  It's really bad, so I would much rather her watch something engaging.

Quoting hwblyf:

My kids sometimes do their screen time concurrently, but we have one kids computer and the Wii, so the others are just watching their siblings.  They're allowed on the iPad during school, but I set them up on learning apps first, and then they get a few minutes of fun time.  If they watch each other during that time instead of doing their own work, that's their iPad time, too.  They don't like that.  :)

And totally they'll take advantage.  I'm fortunate that screen time isn't where my kids take advantage (though that may change in the coming years!).  My kids sneak my Hersheys.  :(  It's a hard position you're in with being out of the house, but needing them to follow the rules.  At least they're not playing with matches!

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

When I say 2 hours, they each get 2 hours, but that doesn't necessarily mean 4 hours total.  They do a lot together, so there shouldn't really be 4 hours of screen time overall...nor does it mean they each get 1 hour. 

I know they get bored sometimes when DH and I aren't around, and it's easy to just pick up the iPod and play for hours, I know they get lost in it.  And it's hard for them to self regulate, because really, what kid wouldn't take advantage if no parents are noticing? 

Quoting hwblyf:

We have not paid for television for about 8 years, so the kids don't have access to a lot of mindless stuff.  I'm also home more, so I can guide/dictate from a closer distance.  :)  We recently went to a token system where they have to earn their screen time by doing their chores.  I was TIRED of the fight over chores and them questioning why I was allowed on the iPad anytime I wanted.  So I explained that it was a way to relax, a way to decompress, and you don't need that time if you don't ever do anything except the things you want.  Wow, do I have kids booking to do things.

My problem is a bit different than yours.  "They" (and one day I want to be "they") recommend 2 hours, no more, of combined screen time a day.  Which limits my kids to about 25 minutes of gaming each (I have 5 kids).  Not a big deal to me.  But then they're done.  No movie, no internet, nothing.  And if I went the other end, each kid times 2 hours is 10 total hours of screen time in my house.  BLECH.  So we're still feeling our way around what works best for us.  But there are days there's no screen time, and I'm good with that.  I think they do need to figure out a way to entertain themselves that isn't screen based.  Take 'em camping for 3 weeks, they'll go through withdrawal, but then they'll get used to it.  Till they get home.  :)

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Yes I do! lol

Quoting Silverkitty:

You don't want to know.

OnyxStarlight
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Maybe next time your DH says something about the kids' screen time, maybe you could say that the two of you should set a better example and suggest a few things you BOTH could do to avoid screen time?

That said, I can't control how much screen time my DH has (he does like to watch a lot of youtube), but I can control what example I set. I told them a few times that when they grow up and pay their own bills, they can be on the computer, watch tv, etc as much as they want. But I've also explained the problems with doing this too, so that they don't think it's a good idea.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I think part of the problem is my DH.  He is the one that gets frustrated that they have too much screen time, but he does not set a good example at all.  He uses tv and video games as down time, but most of his awake time that the kids see (since he works nights), he is having down time.

This is definitely better in the warmer months, since he gets outside and does stuff too, but in the winter we all spend too much time watching tv and playing video games (or for me, spending time on cafemom).

Quoting OnyxStarlight: We use Netflix instead of tv, so I let each of them pick a half hour educational episode a day. They usually get one day a week that they don't have to pick educational shows. They also get an hour each on the computer per day, if there's time, to get on educational websites that reinforce learning and problem-solving. They don't have ipads or phones, so that's not an issue. They're only allowed screen time after their schoolwork and chores are done. The only exceptions to these rules are when we have family movie night or family tv time. Otherwise the tv stays off. DH and I usually watch our shows after the kids go to their rooms for quiet time...the hour or so before bedtime that they spend by themselves to wind down at the end of the day.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Can you give them assignments?  My 9.5yo wants to learn how to make video games next year.  I'm in the middle of researching that right now, but if you made it a stipulation of them having screen time that they have to figure out how to make amod or a specific skin for Minecraft, would you feel better about it?  Then it's directed, serving some purpose, but they're still "relaxing" and having fun.

And it's awesome that your kiddos are good.  But you do also want them to grow into that self control.  And maybe to help them in that pursuit, you can have them track their time themselves?  Man, that would suck the fun out of screen time.  Do bar charts, graphs, plot out game time vs. school time, write an analysis of how they spend their time.  Wow, I'm boring myself.  :)

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

It's really hard for me to complain, because they are really good kids.  If the worst they do is watch too many cartoons, I'm not sure I can complain!  They don't watch shows they shouldn't (aside from Spongebob and cartoons I don't like....but they have always been allowed to watch those so trying to switch to educational stuff is kind of hard).  I think they eat a little more cookies and candies than they would if I was right there, but who doesn't? 

I know they are good kids, they have never gotten into things they shouldn't, they really never did a lot of the "bad" things most kids do.  I don't want to be super controlling, but I also don't want them wasting their brains on junky tv.  I know DD really zones out to it, like her brain completely shuts off, she doesn't even hear us call her name.  It's really bad, so I would much rather her watch something engaging.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

No restrictions on the amount of use but there has to be sharing. So if someone (parents included) has dominated say the TV or computer for several hours it is only right to let someone else use it if they ask for a turn!

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:00 PM

We do not restirct screen time.  My 3 yo runs around, bounces around, or does any number of activities with the television on.  He is never really sitting in front of it unless he is tired and about to fall a sleep.  My 12 yo is always on her computer watching Youtube minecraft or color overs, or doing what ever art or minecraft activity strikes her.  This coming year she will have a few classes online.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Yes I do! lol

Quoting Silverkitty:

You don't want to know.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:05 PM

When my kids were little, the tv was always on but not just sat in front of.  It was mostly just for background noise, DH needs the noise, so something is always on.  But as they have gotten older, and went to school, they got in the habit of completely zoning out in front of the tv...which is ok for a little bit of down time...but when most of our day is "down" time, I don't think we need that zone out time anymore. 

My 11 yo will be taking a class online next year, maybe the 10 yo too, I haven't decided yet.  So I know they will spend more time on the computer.  I guess if they were doing more than minecraft and staring at spongebob, it probably wouldn't be so bad.  Some of it (minecraft and I think it's Viva Pinata) does require them to plan, think, and work together...which are not bad skills. 

Quoting Silverkitty:

We do not restirct screen time.  My 3 yo runs around, bounces around, or does any number of activities with the television on.  He is never really sitting in front of it unless he is tired and about to fall a sleep.  My 12 yo is always on her computer watching Youtube minecraft or color overs, or doing what ever art or minecraft activity strikes her.  This coming year she will have a few classes online.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Yes I do! lol

Quoting Silverkitty:

You don't want to know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN