Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How does it work in your house?

by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 7:44 AM
Replies (21-30):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

There is no screen time - except for educational things - between 10-3 every day (even weekends). Their tv has no cable. They have to earn fictional bucks to rent gaming systems, mp3s, etc by doing chores & school work. No behavior bucks = no electronics.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 7, 2014 at 6:23 AM

I remember your behavior bucks, and was wondering about that.  They get to rent things for 24 hours, right?  Is there any limit to how much or what times they can use it during that 24 hours? 

Quoting KickButtMama:

There is no screen time - except for educational things - between 10-3 every day (even weekends). Their tv has no cable. They have to earn fictional bucks to rent gaming systems, mp3s, etc by doing chores & school work. No behavior bucks = no electronics.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:34 AM

They can't use them during bed time, so essentially it's 4pm to 9pm, then when they wake up ~7am-10am when we shut off everything. I just had to make sure each child had their own devices since sharing can be problematic with the time allotted.  So, really, they get to rent them for like 8 hours....but we call it 24 because it goes from one day into the next..lol.

http://kickbuttcrazylapbooks.blogspot.com/search?q=Behavior+bucks

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I remember your behavior bucks, and was wondering about that.  They get to rent things for 24 hours, right?  Is there any limit to how much or what times they can use it during that 24 hours? 

Quoting KickButtMama:

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Thank you! Off to read your blog.

Quoting KickButtMama:

They can't use them during bed time, so essentially it's 4pm to 9pm, then when they wake up ~7am-10am when we shut off everything. I just had to make sure each child had their own devices since sharing can be problematic with the time allotted.  So, really, they get to rent them for like 8 hours....but we call it 24 because it goes from one day into the next..lol.

http://kickbuttcrazylapbooks.blogspot.com/search?q=Behavior+bucks

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting KickButtMama:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:10 AM
2 moms liked this

My kids buy their screen time.  Whatever they are "renting" comes with their timer.  Time is bought by the half hour.

They earn their e-dollars (electronics dollars) by getting their smileys for the week.... we have a chore chart with smiley magnets.  My oldest (nearly 9) needs 50 smileys, middle (nearly 7) needs 35, and youngest (5) also needs 50 (his chore chart has things on it that aren't on the older ones like brushing teeth, making bed, getting dressed by himself, etc).  When they get the number of smiles for the week, they earn 10 e-dollars (20 half hour segments).  If they want more, they can earn them, for every extra 5 smiles they earn a dollar.

They really don't use the dollars during the summer months or really the fall either.  So they save them for the winter.  This particular winter has been long and COLD, so they are nearly out of dollars.  They have been begging for extra chores to earn more.  And I'm okay with it because I know when the weather turns warmer they will totally shut off the tv and move outdoors.

coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I have children much younger than yours.  They each got a tablet for Christmas (hand me downs from us).  I have installed the Kindle app and a few games that I approve of....that work their brains.  They honestly only get these for about an hour at a time and only about twice a month.  They are so involved in other stuff that it slips their little minds that we have them.  I take them on long car trips with us and they can use them for up to 2 hours in each direction of that trip.  They also like to watch Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune in the evenings when we are home (only about 2-3 nights a week)....but they have to earn that with good behavior.  I will occasionally ask them if they want to forego the game shows for a movie night on Netflix....which they did the other night.  They happened to lose about 20 mins because they took WAY to long in the shower...they each got to pick something to watch with Mom's guidance....one of the happened to pick Magic School Bus.  Who am I to turn down the fact that one of them wanted something educational?  I love when they do that.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this
We used to be better. It used to be no more than 1-2 hours a day.

We are having a harder time limiting it as much lately, so I have been thinking about changing it to monday-thursdays after 4 (only with obedience during school). Fridays and saturdays anytime, but only after any needed school work and with permission (so not all day) And sundays no screen time except for a family show or movie once in a while (determined by mom and dad).

I haven't implemented it yet though.

SarahNElijah
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this
We do no TV from when we wake up until sometime after school (usually when I start dinner).. Mine are 7 and 4, so luckily the TV they watch is still all mostly educational (PBS, Sprout, Nick Jr.).. Every day varies a bit, but some days they are tired and ready for some down time after school.. Other times they play instead right through until dinner..

I was feeling like we were watching too much a bit back (between 4 and bedtime) so I made two nights a week (board) game nights, one night a week a make up your own story night, and two nights we already have Jiu Jitsu and don't get home until bedtime. :)

Saturdays are the only day video games are allowed, and they can have about 4.5 hrs to play.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 8, 2014 at 2:39 PM

This sounds like a great system.  How much does a half hour cost? Half an e-dollar? Am I understanding that right?  So they basically can earn around 10 hours a week and they can choose how to spend them?  Do you still have limits on time of day (my kids right now can only use ipods from 7:30am-7:30pm..and then the other rules come in as well).

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My kids buy their screen time.  Whatever they are "renting" comes with their timer.  Time is bought by the half hour.

They earn their e-dollars (electronics dollars) by getting their smileys for the week.... we have a chore chart with smiley magnets.  My oldest (nearly 9) needs 50 smileys, middle (nearly 7) needs 35, and youngest (5) also needs 50 (his chore chart has things on it that aren't on the older ones like brushing teeth, making bed, getting dressed by himself, etc).  When they get the number of smiles for the week, they earn 10 e-dollars (20 half hour segments).  If they want more, they can earn them, for every extra 5 smiles they earn a dollar.

They really don't use the dollars during the summer months or really the fall either.  So they save them for the winter.  This particular winter has been long and COLD, so they are nearly out of dollars.  They have been begging for extra chores to earn more.  And I'm okay with it because I know when the weather turns warmer they will totally shut off the tv and move outdoors.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

As long as work and chores are done, I don't have any limits on it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)