Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How does it work in your house?

by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 7:44 AM
Replies (31-31):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep half and e-dollar for half an hour.  They choose how to spend them and when to spend them.  The never expire or anything.  The only time limits are for school.  No screen time until school is done for the day.  The school work is set by the chapter and page mostly, so they could rush through it and get to play early.  The only timed things are 30 minutes of phys ed and 45 minutes of free reading.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

This sounds like a great system.  How much does a half hour cost? Half an e-dollar? Am I understanding that right?  So they basically can earn around 10 hours a week and they can choose how to spend them?  Do you still have limits on time of day (my kids right now can only use ipods from 7:30am-7:30pm..and then the other rules come in as well).

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My kids buy their screen time.  Whatever they are "renting" comes with their timer.  Time is bought by the half hour.

They earn their e-dollars (electronics dollars) by getting their smileys for the week.... we have a chore chart with smiley magnets.  My oldest (nearly 9) needs 50 smileys, middle (nearly 7) needs 35, and youngest (5) also needs 50 (his chore chart has things on it that aren't on the older ones like brushing teeth, making bed, getting dressed by himself, etc).  When they get the number of smiles for the week, they earn 10 e-dollars (20 half hour segments).  If they want more, they can earn them, for every extra 5 smiles they earn a dollar.

They really don't use the dollars during the summer months or really the fall either.  So they save them for the winter.  This particular winter has been long and COLD, so they are nearly out of dollars.  They have been begging for extra chores to earn more.  And I'm okay with it because I know when the weather turns warmer they will totally shut off the tv and move outdoors.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)