Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling is not a basic right? ~sfag Update

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:16 AM
  • 42 Replies
1 mom liked this

Here's an update

Today, a Supervisor with the Department of Homeland Security called a member of our legal team to inform us that the Romeike family has been granted "indefinite deferred status". This means that the Romeikes can stay in the United States permanently (unless they are convicted of a crime, etc.)

Supreme Court rejects asylum bid for German home-schooling family

By Sarah Pulliam Bailey | Religion News Service, Published: March 3

The Supreme Court on Monday (March 3) declined to hear an appeal from a family seeking asylum in the United States because home schooling is not allowed in their native Germany.

The case involves Uwe and Hannelore Romeike, Christians who believe German schools would have a bad influence on their six children. The family’s case became a rallying point for many American Christians.

As is their custom, the justices on the high court declined to give a reason for not hearing the case.

Michael Farris, chairman of the Home School Legal Defense Association that represents the family, said the group would pursue legislation in Congress to allow the family to stay. But the Romeikes will likely face deportation.

“The court’s decision is not a decision on the merits of the case — however, it was the last judicial hope for the family,” Farris said in a statement. “Even now, we have been working with supportive members of Congress to introduce legislation that could help the Romeikes and others who flee persecution.”

HSLDA helped the Romeikes leave Germany in 2008 after they were threatened with jail time and losing custody of their children. The Romeikes are evangelical Christians, and say they should be allowed to keep their children home to teach them Christian values.

An immigration judge in Tennessee granted the Romeikes’ bid in 2010, but the Board of Immigration Appeals overturned the ruling in 2012, arguing that religious home-schoolers don’t face any special threats.

The family lost their appeal in federal court in May 2013. The U.S. grants safe haven to people who have a well-founded fear of persecution, but not necessarily to those under governments with laws that differ from those in the U.S., Judge Jeffrey Sutton wrote in the court’s decision.

“The German authorities have not singled out the Romeikes in particular or homeschoolers in general for persecution,” Sutton wrote.

In August 2013, the White House declined to comment on the case in response to an online petition.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/religion/supreme-court-rejects-asylum-bid-for-german-home-schooling-family/2014/03/03/06a987e8-a31b-11e3-b865-38b254d92063_story.html

My question is...why this family? Why are people fighting so hard to let illegal immigrants stay in the country but this family, who appears to have done things the right way, are being forced out? I have read a few articles on this family and I have yet to understand why the government is working so hard to make them leave.

by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Julia on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:22 AM
That is heartbreaking :(
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:26 AM
4 moms liked this

If this family had chosen to go the normal route to get citizenship or a green card they would have been able to do this. They CHOOSE to go for asylum. Asylum is supposed to be for people that are in actual mortal danger or at least risk of great bodily harm. Because the lawyers they got, and they people they hang out with wanted to have an agenda not based on the specific needs of this family, they are now facing deportation.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Also, most illegal immigrants are fleeing dire poverty, terrible, terrible poverty, not poor education standards.

Most were brought here as babies or children. They feel they are Americans because they've been in America their entire lives. Of course they want to stay. This is an entirely different situation.

Also, I don't know where you are at but I know most around here want the 'illegals' sent back and aren't voting to let them stay.

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:30 AM

You have the same questions as I do. If illegals are allowed to stay in this country then surely they can find a way for this family to stay, especially since one of their kids is a U.S. Citizen. 

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:31 AM

I understand the legal aspects but I feel bad for this family.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeschooling_international_status_and_statistics

It's interesting to see who is legal and who isn't.  Russia and India are, but Germany and the Netherlands aren't under most circumstances.

Precious333
by Julia on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Good point. I wonder though if they wentbthat route after all else had failed?

Quoting mem82:

If this family had chosen to go the normal route to get citizenship or a green card they would have been able to do this. They CHOOSE to go for asylum. Asylum is supposed to be for people that are in actual mortal danger or at least risk of great bodily harm. Because the lawyers they got, and they people they hang out with wanted to have an agenda not based on the specific needs of this family, they are now facing deportation.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:34 AM
2 moms liked this

Well, as of yesterday, all else did fail and I do feel that they will go for a visa or green card especially with the new baby.

Quoting Precious333: Good point. I wonder though if they wentbthat route after all else had failed?
Quoting mem82:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Many illegal immigrants have anchor babies. I'm sure that point will help them. I wonder if their lawyer suggested they have one here?

Quoting somuchlove4U:

You have the same questions as I do. If illegals are allowed to stay in this country then surely they can find a way for this family to stay, especially since one of their kids is a U.S. Citizen. 

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Good thoughts Mem.  That would have been the smarter route for them all along.  It's too bad they didn't do that in the first place.

Quoting mem82:

Well, as of yesterday, all else did fail and I do feel that they will go for a visa or green card especially with the new baby.

Quoting Precious333: Good point. I wonder though if they wentbthat route after all else had failed?
Quoting mem82:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:40 AM
3 moms liked this

Remember if one family can say that they need asylum from prosecution for homeschooling then ANY PERSON THAT WANTS TO COME TO THE USA CAN CLAIM THAT if their country (and tons of countries forbid homeschooling) has a law against that. Do you want to give anyone and everyone legal precedence for their own case? That's a big deal, a very big deal. Just because they are Christian, just because they homeschool, just because they are white, just because Americans aren't too found of Germans (stereotypical) does not mean that our judicial system should give these people a pass.

And I say that as a white Christian homeschooler.

////rant

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)