Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling is not a basic right? ~sfag Update

Posted by   + Show Post

Here's an update

Today, a Supervisor with the Department of Homeland Security called a member of our legal team to inform us that the Romeike family has been granted "indefinite deferred status". This means that the Romeikes can stay in the United States permanently (unless they are convicted of a crime, etc.)

Supreme Court rejects asylum bid for German home-schooling family

By Sarah Pulliam Bailey | Religion News Service, Published: March 3

The Supreme Court on Monday (March 3) declined to hear an appeal from a family seeking asylum in the United States because home schooling is not allowed in their native Germany.

The case involves Uwe and Hannelore Romeike, Christians who believe German schools would have a bad influence on their six children. The family’s case became a rallying point for many American Christians.

As is their custom, the justices on the high court declined to give a reason for not hearing the case.

Michael Farris, chairman of the Home School Legal Defense Association that represents the family, said the group would pursue legislation in Congress to allow the family to stay. But the Romeikes will likely face deportation.

“The court’s decision is not a decision on the merits of the case — however, it was the last judicial hope for the family,” Farris said in a statement. “Even now, we have been working with supportive members of Congress to introduce legislation that could help the Romeikes and others who flee persecution.”

HSLDA helped the Romeikes leave Germany in 2008 after they were threatened with jail time and losing custody of their children. The Romeikes are evangelical Christians, and say they should be allowed to keep their children home to teach them Christian values.

An immigration judge in Tennessee granted the Romeikes’ bid in 2010, but the Board of Immigration Appeals overturned the ruling in 2012, arguing that religious home-schoolers don’t face any special threats.

The family lost their appeal in federal court in May 2013. The U.S. grants safe haven to people who have a well-founded fear of persecution, but not necessarily to those under governments with laws that differ from those in the U.S., Judge Jeffrey Sutton wrote in the court’s decision.

“The German authorities have not singled out the Romeikes in particular or homeschoolers in general for persecution,” Sutton wrote.

In August 2013, the White House declined to comment on the case in response to an online petition.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/religion/supreme-court-rejects-asylum-bid-for-german-home-schooling-family/2014/03/03/06a987e8-a31b-11e3-b865-38b254d92063_story.html

My question is...why this family? Why are people fighting so hard to let illegal immigrants stay in the country but this family, who appears to have done things the right way, are being forced out? I have read a few articles on this family and I have yet to understand why the government is working so hard to make them leave.

by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:16 AM
Replies (11-20):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:41 AM
2 moms liked this

That's what so sad about this case. They had plenty of sponsors, the dad has work, they are good people. A green card or visa would not have been hard to get.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Good thoughts Mem.  That would have been the smarter route for them all along.  It's too bad they didn't do that in the first place.

Quoting mem82:

Well, as of yesterday, all else did fail and I do feel that they will go for a visa or green card especially with the new baby.

Quoting Precious333: Good point. I wonder though if they wentbthat route after all else had failed?
Quoting mem82:

If this family had chosen to go the normal route to get citizenship or a green card they would have been able to do this. They CHOOSE to go for asylum. Asylum is supposed to be for people that are in actual mortal danger or at least risk of great bodily harm. Because the lawyers they got, and they people they hang out with wanted to have an agenda not based on the specific needs of this family, they are now facing deportation.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:42 AM
4 moms liked this

By the way, Pagan. I see what you did there...canofworms LOL

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Mem pretty much said everything I feel about this case.  While I do feel for them, there were better ways of handling the situation and I believe they chose the more vocal route in order to get this exact response (but I am totally cynical!)  They believed the "plight" of the German homeschoolers needs international interference and international coverage.  They are getting the reaction they truly wanted, but now they can have an anchor baby and stay anyway.  I am of the mind that a sovereign nation (like Germany) makes their own laws and we have no business using the "might of the US" to bully that sovereign nation (just my opinion).

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Then the question should now be....

Do we as human beings have *natural* rights no matter where we are born?
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:48 PM

My problem with it all is they knew homeschooling was illegal in Germany before they had children because it has been illegal since before WWI. Why did they not try to leave Germany before their children where school aged? Instead they homeschooled in secret in a country they new had laws against it & then when they where finally suspected of breaking the law they fled. I wish our government would just stand up for them but becauseof the way the parents have gone about doing everything I feel as thought this refusal is not that surprising! Governments will always care more about other governments then about the individual citizens & their inherentrights & true freedoms!

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Your statement at the end is how I feel too.  There are so many people here illegally, yet the government is trying very hard to make this family leave.

From what I have gathered, if they return to Germany they will likely lose their children...also their youngest child I believe was born here-which makes that child a US citizen...so what happens to that child if the rest of the family is deported?  They were here legally and everything was legit (from what I have understood) and then the case was reviewed...why was it reviewed at all?  What were they doing wrong that they needed to go back to court to justify why they want to live in America?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Here's an update

Today, a Supervisor with the Department of Homeland Security called a member of our legal team to inform us that the Romeike family has been granted "indefinite deferred status". This means that the Romeikes can stay in the United States permanently (unless they are convicted of a crime, etc.)

jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:19 PM
3 moms liked this
America is a great county because we recognize that people are born with certain rights. Many governments do not recognize the same rights that we do. Albert Einstein fled the German education system. It was a system that told him he would never amount to anything. It is a very oppresive government and educational system. I feel for them and their plight. I don't think it was justifiable grounds for asylum. I have changed my opinion on it of recently. I think because I love homeschooling so much I want everyone who wants to homeschool to be able to do so. It is a great lesson why fighting for our rights is so important. Honestly if the government told me I couldn't homeschool then I probably wouldn't listen. I am a bit of a rebal. Personally I think our governement ever said that we wouldn't have any other rights to speak of either. I have been reading the lifestory of marie curie and she grew up in a similar system. Her parents educated their children at home in secret. They weren't even allowed to speak their native language. They had to do it in secret at home. I kind of admire their resolve of homeschooling in secret. It wasn't very smart but i admire their bravery.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:24 PM

It really is :-(

Quoting Precious333: That is heartbreaking :(

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:26 PM

*Bats eyes innocently*

Quoting mem82:

By the way, Pagan. I see what you did there...canofworms LOL

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN