Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling is not a basic right? ~sfag Update

Posted by   + Show Post

Here's an update

Today, a Supervisor with the Department of Homeland Security called a member of our legal team to inform us that the Romeike family has been granted "indefinite deferred status". This means that the Romeikes can stay in the United States permanently (unless they are convicted of a crime, etc.)

Supreme Court rejects asylum bid for German home-schooling family

By Sarah Pulliam Bailey | Religion News Service, Published: March 3

The Supreme Court on Monday (March 3) declined to hear an appeal from a family seeking asylum in the United States because home schooling is not allowed in their native Germany.

The case involves Uwe and Hannelore Romeike, Christians who believe German schools would have a bad influence on their six children. The family’s case became a rallying point for many American Christians.

As is their custom, the justices on the high court declined to give a reason for not hearing the case.

Michael Farris, chairman of the Home School Legal Defense Association that represents the family, said the group would pursue legislation in Congress to allow the family to stay. But the Romeikes will likely face deportation.

“The court’s decision is not a decision on the merits of the case — however, it was the last judicial hope for the family,” Farris said in a statement. “Even now, we have been working with supportive members of Congress to introduce legislation that could help the Romeikes and others who flee persecution.”

HSLDA helped the Romeikes leave Germany in 2008 after they were threatened with jail time and losing custody of their children. The Romeikes are evangelical Christians, and say they should be allowed to keep their children home to teach them Christian values.

An immigration judge in Tennessee granted the Romeikes’ bid in 2010, but the Board of Immigration Appeals overturned the ruling in 2012, arguing that religious home-schoolers don’t face any special threats.

The family lost their appeal in federal court in May 2013. The U.S. grants safe haven to people who have a well-founded fear of persecution, but not necessarily to those under governments with laws that differ from those in the U.S., Judge Jeffrey Sutton wrote in the court’s decision.

“The German authorities have not singled out the Romeikes in particular or homeschoolers in general for persecution,” Sutton wrote.

In August 2013, the White House declined to comment on the case in response to an online petition.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/religion/supreme-court-rejects-asylum-bid-for-german-home-schooling-family/2014/03/03/06a987e8-a31b-11e3-b865-38b254d92063_story.html

My question is...why this family? Why are people fighting so hard to let illegal immigrants stay in the country but this family, who appears to have done things the right way, are being forced out? I have read a few articles on this family and I have yet to understand why the government is working so hard to make them leave.

by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:16 AM
Replies (41-42):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Precisely!

Quoting kirbymom: Why would we not believe that educating our children at home is not a right? It s. It is because it is a fundamental right of choice. To either choose to or to choose not to educate your child(ren) at home. It is like anything else in being human. Whether it is this country or any other country. If any one "right to choice" is taken away, then it isn't long before All "rights to choice" are taken away and we are no longer a human being but an animal with limited freedom and very few "choices". No One wants to live that way.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 5:31 PM

The thing is, lack of good public schools are not everyone's reason to homeschool. I know for myself, it had nothing to do with my descion to bring my son home. 

Quoting KickButtMama:

I agree w/ mem. There are LEGAL  routes this family could have taken. Plus Germany has great schools - I've been in them. So I guess I agree that homeschooling is not a basic right. In a perfect world I like the idea of group education, I just think American schools (the majority) stink.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)