Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT - Happy Mardi Gras! What (if anything of course!) are you giving up for Lent?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:51 AM
  • 64 Replies
1 mom liked this

First off, happy Mardi Gras ladies!  No matter what your religion or non-religion I hope you enjoy today to the fullest and have a wonderful dinner to boot. 

We're making a King Cake and hiding Baby Jesus under a piece.  :)

Ash Wednesday and the season of Lent begin tomorrow.  I'm giving up cursing.  I don't curse much, but it has escalated since we began homeschooling.  I'm not sure if there's a correlation, lol.  

I'm also giving up ice cream and donuts, which should help my weight loss too.

Are you abstaining from anything?

by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

We are doing something different for Lent this year.  We are following the House for all Sinners and Saints 40 ideas for keeping a Holy Lent.  Although we do have to tweak a few things (like the bring your own mug day we do not buy coffee out, so we're going to give a few mugs out, and we already use LED lightbulbs so we are giving 2 LED dimmer bulbs to our church).  

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I like that route. They have some great ideas in there, and I think I'll steal some of those.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We are doing something different for Lent this year.  We are following the House for all Sinners and Saints 40 ideas for keeping a Holy Lent.  Although we do have to tweak a few things (like the bring your own mug day we do not buy coffee out, so we're going to give a few mugs out, and we already use LED lightbulbs so we are giving 2 LED dimmer bulbs to our church).  

Precious333
by Julia on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Not sure. Probably wont since it seemed to have snuck up on me lol
Precious333
by Julia on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Ok, I am going 5 minutes of silence everyday!
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I haven't thought about it. Add me to the "it snuck up on me" group.

I have been meaning to read my bible more and get back to my daily devotional. I think I will give up some fun time and spend more on devotion.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

They do have some really great ideas.  I've been falling in love with that church lately.  Too bad they are on the other saide of the country from me.  :(

Quoting TidewaterClan: I like that route. They have some great ideas in there, and I think I'll steal some of those.
Quoting bluerooffarm:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:12 PM
2 moms liked this

HA! My cursing has escalated, too. Hmm

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Precious333: Ok, I am going 5 minutes of silence everyday!

Hmmm, that sounds way too nice to be a sacrifice! :)

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

We are going to do one thing a day, I think that will be moredoable for my kids since they have only practiced this once.  I always have a hard time choosing something to give up, so I am going to do one thing a day with them...but I am also going to work on reading the Bible more, or just reconnecting with the Bible in general.

I guess I was always just told to "give something up" I was never really taught about the other parts, I've been reading about it and the best thing I have read is "Give up, Take up, and Lift up" (give up material things, take up charitable habits, lift up others in need).  This is helping me understand that it's not just a time to give up something I enjoy/don't need...but that in that extra time I am supposed to do something more constructive...and that there is more to it than just giving something up.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN