Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT - Happy Mardi Gras! What (if anything of course!) are you giving up for Lent?

Posted by   + Show Post

First off, happy Mardi Gras ladies!  No matter what your religion or non-religion I hope you enjoy today to the fullest and have a wonderful dinner to boot. 

We're making a King Cake and hiding Baby Jesus under a piece.  :)

Ash Wednesday and the season of Lent begin tomorrow.  I'm giving up cursing.  I don't curse much, but it has escalated since we began homeschooling.  I'm not sure if there's a correlation, lol.  

I'm also giving up ice cream and donuts, which should help my weight loss too.

Are you abstaining from anything?

by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:51 AM
Replies (61-64):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah it was pretty cool growing up in a church with that much history.  I'd have loved to hear other denominations growing up!  My best friend was Lutheran and my mother had been a Catholic so I did get to hear about other denominations, but to hear the sermons would have been really neat!  Bet your kids get a kick out of it.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That had to be pretty cool!  There's a church we go to when we're camping that was built in 1827.  Different pastors will come each Sunday, so it's a great way to hear multiple denominations.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Ours was a very old congregation.  The church was built in the late 1700's.

Quoting mem82:

Also, after looking through both the Article of Faith and the Book of Discipline I saw nothing talking about Lent. I may have flipped through it too fast, though. I am fighting with a toddler. lol Maybe you went to an older church? The Methodist didn't become United Methodist until the late 60's. We joined with another denomination. Maybe you went to one of the old school Methodist congregations?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

It's part of the teachings in the Book of Discipline.

Quote: "Lent is a time of repentance, fasting and preparation for the coming of Easter. It is a time of self-examination and reflection. In the early church, Lent was a time to prepare new converts for baptism....

I'm not trying to bad mouth the church or anything, but it was always a really big deal when I was growing up.

Quoting mem82:

I've never met a Methodist here that fasted at any time. I mean, where the church encouraged it. I'm sure someone might feel the need themselves. We aren't taught to fast at all, though.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Really?  Most around here did.  We had tea and toast for breakfast, and sop for supper each night (bread and beef broth).  I think it was Mondays that we were allowed to eat all we wanted and then began the fast for the next week.

Quoting mem82: Lol Most United Methodist don't fast, either.
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting KickButtMama:

I'm not sure I understand lent. Why do you give up anything? 

It depends on the denomination.  I grew up Methodist and they believe in fasting for the 40 days of lent representing the 40 days that Jesus fasted in the desert.

For Lutherans (what I am now) we believe in giving up something that takes up our time and instead devoting that time to prayer, reading the Bible, volunteering, or finding some other way of being closer to God.

COB believes that giving up something important to you wil show your devotion to God and he'll reward you for it.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's hard for kids to really get a good grasp on all of it, so changing religions.....that must have thrown you for a loop!  It is pretty cool learning all the different ways (religions) that God uses to reach his people.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Thanks! I was born Catholic, but when we moved to the US when I was 7 my parents changed religions, so I never developed an understanding.....but I love learning about different faiths, so thanks again!

Quoting hwblyf:

Self sacrifice is an important step on the path to following Jesus, who gave up his life so that we could live.  Giving something small (but maybe it's not small to you) for 40 days gives you a feel for that sacrificial relationship.

Adding onto that sacrificial relationship is not just getting rid of something, but doing something.  If I stop hitting you, that's good.  If I stop hitting you and add in an element of going out of my way to do something kind/nice/generous for you, that's better.

Stretches for the soul.  Get all the kinks out.  At least for a bit.  :)

Quoting KickButtMama:

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:09 AM
They do! Plus the pastors always bring their A-Game so the sermons are always good. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm: Yeah it was pretty cool growing up in a church with that much history.  I'd have loved to hear other denominations growing up!  My best friend was Lutheran and my mother had been a Catholic so I did get to hear about other denominations, but to hear the sermons would have been really neat!  Bet your kids get a kick out of it.Quoting TidewaterClan: That had to be pretty cool!  There's a church we go to when we're camping that was built in 1827.  Different pastors will come each Sunday, so it's a great way to hear multiple denominations.Quoting bluerooffarm: Ours was a very old congregation.  The church was built in the late 1700's.Quoting mem82: Also, after looking through both the Article of Faith and the Book of Discipline I saw nothing talking about Lent. I may have flipped through it too fast, though. I am fighting with a toddler. lol Maybe you went to an older church? The Methodist didn't become United Methodist until the late 60's. We joined with another denomination. Maybe you went to one of the old school Methodist congregations?Quoting bluerooffarm: It's part of the teachings in the Book of Discipline.
Quote: "Lent is a time of repentance, fasting and preparation for the coming of Easter. It is a time of self-examination and reflection. In the early church, Lent was a time to prepare new converts for baptism....
I'm not trying to bad mouth the church or anything, but it was always a really big deal when I was growing up.Quoting mem82: I've never met a Methodist here that fasted at any time. I mean, where the church encouraged it. I'm sure someone might feel the need themselves. We aren't taught to fast at all, though.Quoting bluerooffarm: Really?  Most around here did.  We had tea and toast for breakfast, and sop for supper each night (bread and beef broth).  I think it was Mondays that we were allowed to eat all we wanted and then began the fast for the next week.Quoting mem82: Lol Most United Methodist don't fast, either.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting KickButtMama:

It depends on the denomination.  I grew up Methodist and they believe in fasting for the 40 days of lent representing the 40 days that Jesus fasted in the desert.

For Lutherans (what I am now) we believe in giving up something that takes up our time and instead devoting that time to prayer, reading the Bible, volunteering, or finding some other way of being closer to God.

COB believes that giving up something important to you wil show your devotion to God and he'll reward you for it.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I'll bet they bring their A-game!  LOL  Sounds awesome!

Quoting TidewaterClan: They do! Plus the pastors always bring their A-Game so the sermons are always good. :) Quoting bluerooffarm: Yeah it was pretty cool growing up in a church with that much history.  I'd have loved to hear other denominations growing up!  My best friend was Lutheran and my mother had been a Catholic so I did get to hear about other denominations, but to hear the sermons would have been really neat!  Bet your kids get a kick out of it.Quoting TidewaterClan: That had to be pretty cool!  There's a church we go to when we're camping that was built in 1827.  Different pastors will come each Sunday, so it's a great way to hear multiple denominations.Quoting bluerooffarm: Ours was a very old congregation.  The church was built in the late 1700's.Quoting mem82: Also, after looking through both the Article of Faith and the Book of Discipline I saw nothing talking about Lent. I may have flipped through it too fast, though. I am fighting with a toddler. lol Maybe you went to an older church? The Methodist didn't become United Methodist until the late 60's. We joined with another denomination. Maybe you went to one of the old school Methodist congregations?Quoting bluerooffarm: It's part of the teachings in the Book of Discipline. Quote: "Lent is a time of repentance, fasting and preparation for the coming of Easter. It is a time of self-examination and reflection. In the early church, Lent was a time to prepare new converts for baptism.... I'm not trying to bad mouth the church or anything, but it was always a really big deal when I was growing up.Quoting mem82: I've never met a Methodist here that fasted at any time. I mean, where the church encouraged it. I'm sure someone might feel the need themselves. We aren't taught to fast at all, though.Quoting bluerooffarm: Really?  Most around here did.  We had tea and toast for breakfast, and sop for supper each night (bread and beef broth).  I think it was Mondays that we were allowed to eat all we wanted and then began the fast for the next week.Quoting mem82: Lol Most United Methodist don't fast, either.
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting KickButtMama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN