Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Curriculum for a dyslexic 3rd grader?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:07 PM
  • 5 Replies
Any suggestions? I'm leaning strongly toward homeschooling my oldest. She has struggled in her school and it's only getting worse. We will allow her to finish this year in her school but we will either homeschool or switch her to the hands on/project based school across town for next year.
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Jilectan
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:14 PM

I'll be watching this one with interest. My dd may be dyslexic, but I haven't been able to get her asessed yet.

I recently found a free curriculum that claims that it's really good for dyslexics on donpotter.net called Blend Phonics. Has anyone heard of this one? It's a 4 month, intensive phonics program that covers reading and writing and recommends cursive writing first, and not just for dyslexics.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:38 PM

I strongly recommend Dancing Bears for reading, and their sister spelling program "Apples and Pears".

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Jilectan
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Anyone else? There has to be more out there!

OP, here are some suggestions given to me:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079/forums/read/19575954/How_to_deal_with_a_child_who_wont_concentrate?next=11

You do need to scroll down a bit, but someone provided some links for me to help with my DD. hth.

momto3infl
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Does she have Intervention with one on one tutoring through the school and/or 504?

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 2:37 PM
I googled homeschooling with dyslexia and the first sight that popped up is marriannesunderland.com.

I'm mobile and don't know how to cut and paste...

Anyway, I've looked at her sight before when trying to help another friend dealing with dyslexia. It is a helpful sight.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)