Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

A good curriculum for a gifted middle schooler?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:09 PM
  • 4 Replies

I have an almost 13yr old daughter in 7th grade presently at a private catholic school. My daughter has aspergers, generalized anxiety disorder, and major depressive disorder.  Presently my daughter is in a severe depression and is suicidal due to social communication problems and bullying at the school.  The school administration has been a major source of problems although they are being really nice right at the moment.  We began a medical leave on Monday.  I don't know if she will be going back to the school.  Homeschooling is looking like a good alternative for us at this time.  I feel a little overwhelmed by all the programs out there.  Any recommendations for curriculum for the gifted child would be appreciated.  My daughter reads at college level and is presently taking honors algebra.  She also writes poetry, songs, stories and draws.

by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Welcome!

Honestly, your daughter needs to deschool for a few months so you have time. I know it's hard to let go of the idea that she should be 'schooling' but right now she needs your help to relax and work on her self esteem. Take the rest of the year off (it sounds like she is well enough advanced that she won't even 'fall behind' brick and mortar school. Give her time to pursue her writing and art. Take her to a museum or four. Bond with her and help her bond with herself. Very few kids will just lay on the bed for months and not learn anything. There are a few that will but your daughter sounds like she has many interests.

katyq
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 3:10 PM

I'm sorry to hear all that :( since she is on medical leave, you should be able to use the same curriculum that she has been using all year. Are her teachers emailing you her homework? Does she still have her school textbooks? Then next year, you can simply order a new curriculum or curriculum pieces from different brands to put together what you will need for her 8th grade year. And basically, you will need the next level of math, language arts (reading, writing, grammar) , science, history and any electives that you/she choose.  Also, read your state's homeschooling laws. Most are pretty simple but some (Like N.Y.) can be tedious.  Good luck!

KenneMaw
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 7:07 PM

I am new to homeschooling (this is literally our first week) and it is overwhelming.  My daughter was having severe migraines (head and abdominal migraines) and she does have a bit of an anxiety disorder.   After mising almost 2 months of school, we decided to finish the year at home.  We are trying to follow along with her current studies and expectations.  In GA, our homeschooling rules are pretty easy.    If you have any neighbors are close friends that are homeschooling, that may be your best bet.  My neighbor has been an amazing resource for me.

good luck to your daughter.  I am so sorry she is struggling, but being a life long sufferer of depression, my heart goes out to her and you. Thanks for being a good mom and doing what is best for your girl.  :-)

Bobcatridge
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Thanks for the replies. Initially I was trying to get my daughter to do homework etc but her therapist recommended that we just let her be for now.  My daughter thought that just not going to school would get rid of the depression.  Of course that didn't happen but she is more relaxed although she still has panic attacks and is really sad.  She was supposed to take the SAT's on Saturday to get into a special national gifted program.  We decided she didn't need the stress of that so she will be taking them later. My husband is really pressing for her to go back to school at the end of two weeks.  I sicked the therapist on him and if I have to I will have the psychiatrist talk to him.  The private school does not have a homestudy program.  They will allow two 2 week medical leaves and then, well, I think they want us to find a formal home study program. Thanks for the comments.  I think mem82 is right about needing deschooling time. Now I need to convince hubby to relax about it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN