Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My son still writes like a first grader!

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 7:39 AM
  • 29 Replies
I really don't want to make him do writing work sheets but I think it may come to that. Have you had issues with writing?
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 7:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:53 AM

My first grader has improved, but he still writes like a kinder.  It's not something I've spent a lot of time on, so that's on my list.  :)

RADmomma
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:04 AM
My dd is only 6 in kinder so were still working. I have found that writing work sheets make her shut down. But if I need a favor... Like I ask her to please write out a short grocery list or something she is all over it!!

We also use dry erase markers to leave each other notes on mirrors & windows! (Wise right off) she loves when dh leaves her a note & she has to write one back.
TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:54 AM
2 moms liked this

He's in 3rd grade like my younger dd?  Her writing is just now starting to improve, and I did all of the writing in sand, jello, shaving cream, etc., activities with her.  What really helped her was the chalkboard.  I bought one for $10 and let her write HUGE words on it.  As she improves she scales the size down.  She's learning cursive too, and seems to do much better writing that than block letters.  

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:12 AM

We have a white board that he loves. Maybe I should try this?

Quoting TidewaterClan:

He's in 3rd grade like my younger dd?  Her writing is just now starting to improve, and I did all of the writing in sand, jello, shaving cream, etc., activities with her.  What really helped her was the chalkboard.  I bought one for $10 and let her write HUGE words on it.  As she improves she scales the size down.  She's learning cursive too, and seems to do much better writing that than block letters.  

coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Yes, my 1st grader still has poor penmanship....like that of an early Kindergartner.  In her defense though she was blind all the way through K and I didn't know it.  She is learning basic letter formation all over again and to top that off she is doing 1st grade work when by PS standards she would be 3/4 of the way through K.  I have to take the good with the bad and just hope it will eventually get better.

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Elyssa really enjoys it. She has more control when the words are big, and she focuses on making them look great. Her smaller/regular pencil & paper writing is improving now because she's concentrating while she writes. It took awhile though.

She also likes to pretend she's the teacher and instructing us when she's at the board. That just keeps her writing longer & practicing more. :)

Quoting mem82:

We have a white board that he loves. Maybe I should try this?

Quoting TidewaterClan:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:41 AM

We cycle.  Sometimes he pays attention to his writing and writes neatly, other times it looks like a big mess!  LOL  

How's his Dad's handwriting?  My DH writes like a kindergartener (except with MUCH smaller print).  It is almost illegible.

lazyd
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Kids now a days aren't taught how to write or even cursive.  It is sad.  My son is 11 and can't write very well - it is messy!  Boys are especially worse than girls.  It's all about "pecking" on the computer keyboard.  

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

THIS IS THE WAY MY HUSBAND WRITES. IT DOESN'T SAY MUCH FOR HIS GRAPHOLOGY PROFILE. O.0

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We cycle.  Sometimes he pays attention to his writing and writes neatly, other times it looks like a big mess!  LOL  

How's his Dad's handwriting?  My DH writes like a kindergartener (except with MUCH smaller print).  It is almost illegible.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:57 AM

My son is 11.5 and his writing is pretty messy, but usually legible so I mostly let it go.  He has to write a bible verse in cursive each day, the rest of his writing can be in print.  He doesn't use any spaces which gets really annoying for me.  He mostly rushes, that is why it's messy.  So sometimes I make him rewrite, but not often (probably not often enough because I don't want to deal with the complaining to be honest).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN