Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My son still writes like a first grader!

Posted by   + Show Post
I really don't want to make him do writing work sheets but I think it may come to that. Have you had issues with writing?
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 7:39 AM
Replies (21-29):
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Mine have spiral notebooks that they like to draw in & write the discriptions of what they drew in it!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Great idea!  E loves writing about Scooby Doo and horses.  We make books by stapling colored paper and she writes in those all the time.

Quoting usmom3:

Can you encourage him to write about things he loves, like his Minecraftgame? Maybe he could write his character's back story!

Schauseil
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:00 PM
His writing is poor in content or physical execution? I'm 26 and my hand writing sucks. I just can't do it. I even had a Japanese film class where we learned Japanese culture through film and part of the grade was how well your hand writing was in your journal, because aparently in Japan they value good hand writing. I spent a lot of time in it and did my best, still looked like a middle schoolers at best.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Cole has an art book that he draws in and writes descriptions of dragons he creates. This just started and was really the first time he has attempted to do anything like it. So that's good.

Quoting usmom3:

Mine have spiral notebooks that they like to draw in & write the discriptions of what they drew in it!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Great idea!  E loves writing about Scooby Doo and horses.  We make books by stapling colored paper and she writes in those all the time.

Quoting usmom3:

Can you encourage him to write about things he loves, like his Minecraftgame? Maybe he could write his character's back story!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:52 AM

That's not too bad of idea. He loves getting mail.

Quoting Riceball83: I started my son on writing letters to his grandparents and they write back to him He really likes that because then he gets mail

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:54 AM

His structure of the letters and his structure when writing sentences. It's all terrible. No caps, punctuation, etc. Sigh

Jilectan
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:07 PM

My 9 year old has crummy handwriting, when he prints. When he's writing cursive, he's actually pretty neat. Have you covered cursive? You might want to consider switching to it, and maybe have him do some copywork every day.

eta: I just read the post above mine. I'd still suggest going with copywork for awhile. That gives them practice with punctuation and sentence structure. Having them read daily is also a good way to expose him to good sentence structure.

cheerylrob2
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Handwriting Without Tears. Fun activity book format. Timed at 10min at a time but it has made my first grader a neat writer. I still remind her about spacing because she still has the never ending word sentences sometimes!

norahsmommy
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:39 PM
Mine writes like a first grader, she is in third. She is dyslexic and dysgraphic. Writing in cursive is much easier for her and she is perfectly tidy.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:59 AM
My own handwriting is horrible. I'm not teaching it well either. They can write well enough to complete their work, but it takes real effort to produce stuff worthy of hanging up.

We have been working on keyboarding and handwriting alternately.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)