Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My son still writes like a first grader!

Posted by   + Show Post
I really don't want to make him do writing work sheets but I think it may come to that. Have you had issues with writing?
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 7:39 AM
Replies (11-20):
fullxbusymom
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:58 AM

What does the school say about it? If it is an issue your school should be catching this right away.  Ours did for my son starting in Kindergarten and he is now in second.,

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 12:03 PM

LOL I'm the school, and do to some eyesight problems, he had been doing most of his school work out loud. This is the first year, he's been able to see enough to write. Did the school do anything outside of worksheets to help your son? I'm open to suggestions!

Quoting fullxbusymom:

What does the school say about it? If it is an issue your school should be catching this right away.  Ours did for my son starting in Kindergarten and he is now in second.,

fullxbusymom
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 12:05 PM

They have never done worksheets for it.  However, your son's issue and my son's issue seem like two totally different issues.  It sounds like he really simply needs practice since he is starting off as a preschooler would. 

Quoting mem82:

LOL I'm the school, and do to some eyesight problems, he had been doing most of his school work out loud. This is the first year, he's been able to see enough to write. Did the school do anything outside of worksheets to help your son? I'm open to suggestions!

Quoting fullxbusymom:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 12:10 PM

*due (in my first statement)

Yeah, I think he does just need to start over but telling him that is another story. I'm hoping to find a more interesting way of doing it.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

They have never done worksheets for it.  However, your son's issue and my son's issue seem like two totally different issues.  It sounds like he really simply needs practice since he is starting off as a preschooler would. 

Quoting mem82:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

fullxbusymom
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 12:12 PM

How about get him a pen pal?  Someone to write letters back and forth.  That will accomplish your goal but in an interesting way.

Quoting mem82:

*due (in my first statement)

Yeah, I think he does just need to start over but telling him that is another story. I'm hoping to find a more interesting way of doing it.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

See I always look at his Daddy's and cut him some slack!  At least I can read what DS writes!  

Quoting mem82:

THIS IS THE WAY MY HUSBAND WRITES. IT DOESN'T SAY MUCH FOR HIS GRAPHOLOGY PROFILE. O.0

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We cycle.  Sometimes he pays attention to his writing and writes neatly, other times it looks like a big mess!  LOL  

How's his Dad's handwriting?  My DH writes like a kindergartener (except with MUCH smaller print).  It is almost illegible.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 5, 2014 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

My eldest is on the autism spectrum, so his handwriting is messy. I don't stress about it. As long as they understand grammar rules I'm happy.

Riceball83
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I started my son on writing letters to his grandparents and they write back to him
He really likes that because then he gets mail
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 5, 2014 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Can you encourage him to write about things he loves, like his Minecraftgame? Maybe he could write his character's back story!

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Great idea!  E loves writing about Scooby Doo and horses.  We make books by stapling colored paper and she writes in those all the time.

Quoting usmom3:

Can you encourage him to write about things he loves, like his Minecraftgame? Maybe he could write his character's back story!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)