Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My dh wants LO to go to PS

Posted by   + Show Post

Dh is fine with me hsing my 6 year old because he has SNs and would never be doing this well academically. He recently told me our 3.5 year old needs to go to ps starting in K because he's very bright and he would like me to put him in PreK in the fall. It's not just LO picking up academics early, it's his thought processes and actions. Personally I don't see how ps is supposed to advance him more than I can. We're active in several hs groups and go places all the time. He makes friends easily and plays with whoever is at the playground so socialization is covered. All I can figure is when dh was bragging about him at work someone told him a smart kid needs to be in ps.

Arguments for hsing bright children vs putting them in ps please. Ultimately he won't stop me from doing it, but I want him to feel good about the decision too.

by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:54 AM
Replies (11-20):
Molimomma
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Ugh, this always brings me back to my childhood when my mom went in to talk to the teacher about giving me more worksheets all the time to keep me busy. She said,"She doesn't need more of the same stuff she got it the first time." Then they had me teaching the other kids or "helping them" so she went in AGAIN and said, "Sister(Catholic school), I am not paying all this money in tuition so that she can be a teacher's aid!" All I remember was being SO bored and forever trying to move things along. In high school I was used to walk around my honors biology class telling kids what page the answers were on so we could get to the lab part of each lesson. I figured out quick that I could get everyone's paperwork done faster without ACTUALLY cheating and get to the fun stuff! Good luck I hope you can convince him!

jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 4:18 PM
My son is on the gifted side. He would miserable in school. He was miserable at home just using a traditional method. He needs freedom to explore and use his imagination.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest is advanced.  I got a lot of grief about it.  A LOT.  What?  He gets AN HOUR of enrichment a week.  WOW.  Hold the phone.  He came in here knowing more than you want him leaving this grade level, and you'll grant him AN HOUR of challenging stuff a week?  And by challenging, they mean they'll pull him out with other kids once a week and they can do things like play Scrabble.  Not bad mouthing Scrabble, I love it, but that doesn't make up for the fact that the rest of the week he wasn't taught a lot.  Like others he could get it the first go-round, and then what does he do?  And he had awesome teachers.  It took me 4 years to kinda shake myself loose, and that was only when things got so bad they were going to kick him out of school.  A lot of teachers will tell you to do extensions at home so your child continues to be challenged.  That's code for you teach him at his level, we'll teach to the other kids' level.  Sounds like a waste of time to me.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:22 PM
2 moms liked this
Tonight while I was running an errand LO turned the pantry into a "rocket". He turned a box into a helmet and told dh alllll about rockets, astronauts, and the moon. Dh asked me where he learned all that and I told him "Me!" He looked impressed. Maybe that will hush him up about PS lol.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:51 AM
Although I have not tested her I suspect my dd is gifted. That is one of the major reasons we are hsing her. From all the reasearch I have done most schools give gifteds more work not better work! Sadly not long ago most gifted kids were either grading papers or working in the office because the did not fit in the box.

Gifted kids do not succeed as often as normal kids and they usually do not like center stage because they are hyper aware of what is going on around them.

PS would want my kid drugged and she would be in trouble all the time. Her non stop moving and talking drives me nuts let alone someone who wants her to fit in a box.

DH was exactly like this but thankfully he was no raised here or he would have been drugged too!

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this

My bright kid got lost in public school.  I regret not homeschooling sooner.  This is our first year and he is in 6th grade.  If we had homeschooled from the beginning, he would be do high school level work now.  But since he spent so many years basically sitting around waiting for other kids to finish, I feel like we have to make sure he learned what he has needed to before we do the upper level stuff (he is doing pre algebra right now, and should be fine for algebra next year...but in our district he wouldn't have been able to do algebra until at least 9th grade).

He is kind of lazy and does the bare minimum...I think that's somewhat innate, but I think it wasn't discouraged in ps.  He only needed to do the bare minimum and since he is bright, that would be done almost immediately and then he would play on the computer or sit and wait for the rest of the class.

If I knew then, what I know now, I would never have sent him to ps.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:54 AM
Ugh this is what I have heard over and over and over from adults who are gifted! Sucks!!!

Quoting Molimomma:

Ugh, this always brings me back to my childhood when my mom went in to talk to the teacher about giving me more worksheets all the time to keep me busy. She said,"She doesn't need more of the same stuff she got it the first time." Then they had me teaching the other kids or "helping them" so she went in AGAIN and said, "Sister(Catholic school), I am not paying all this money in tuition so that she can be a teacher's aid!" All I remember was being SO bored and forever trying to move things along. In high school I was used to walk around my honors biology class telling kids what page the answers were on so we could get to the lab part of each lesson. I figured out quick that I could get everyone's paperwork done faster without ACTUALLY cheating and get to the fun stuff! Good luck I hope you can convince him!

coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:28 PM

My 5 1/2 yo would be bored out of her mind in a classroom.  She is advanced for her age and was reading at a 3rd grade level before she was ready to start K by PS standards.  She would cause problems and get into trouble in a classroom full of extra distractions.  I LOVE the fact that we can keep her hear and I can let her read any book that sparks her imagination.  I have seen kids in the PS here that aren't allowed to get a book more than a year ahead of where they are based on AR level....my child would be bored to tears reading a grade level 1 book when she is nearing 4th grade level books.

True story: I have a friend with a 2nd grader in another state....all of her children have been bright but not gifted.  Her son is bored to tears and is starting to make silly mistakes on his work.  She went in and asked for stuff that was a little more complitcated and would challenge him.  The teacher would send that home but not the actual homework portion of things and then mark him off for not turning in his homework.  Her son was also coming home with notes saying that he was a disruption to the class. He is a good kid and I can vouch that he probably wasn't causing problems in class because he had never up until this point.  My friend quit bothering the teacher about the extra work and if by some miracle her son was behaving in school again.  These teachers are absolutley ridiculous when you want what is best for your child, but because of the way things are designed they can't even help you give them what they need.

My vote would be to keep your guy home and let him continue to advance at his pace.

cheerylrob2
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Online school okay for your family? You could choose a charter school and they could tailor his lesson plans if he is gifted in an area. That way you can still keep your little guy home and your husband will be happy too. Sometimes it doesn't help any of us HS mom's or dad's when someone has an opinion on your child's educational needs and you aren't there to correct any misconceptions. Good luck.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:24 PM
Lots of advice here. Good advice.
One thing you and hubby might want to keep in mind while thinking, ps can only go as fast as the slowest student in the class.
Is your son the type that can learn on his own and keep himself motivated if he gets ahead of other students?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)