Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My dh wants LO to go to PS

Posted by   + Show Post

Dh is fine with me hsing my 6 year old because he has SNs and would never be doing this well academically. He recently told me our 3.5 year old needs to go to ps starting in K because he's very bright and he would like me to put him in PreK in the fall. It's not just LO picking up academics early, it's his thought processes and actions. Personally I don't see how ps is supposed to advance him more than I can. We're active in several hs groups and go places all the time. He makes friends easily and plays with whoever is at the playground so socialization is covered. All I can figure is when dh was bragging about him at work someone told him a smart kid needs to be in ps.

Arguments for hsing bright children vs putting them in ps please. Ultimately he won't stop me from doing it, but I want him to feel good about the decision too.

by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:54 AM
Replies (21-28):
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Quoting kirbymom: Lots of advice here. Good advice. One thing you and hubby might want to keep in mind while thinking, ps can only go as fast as the slowest student in the class. Is your son the type that can learn on his own and keep himself motivated if he gets ahead of other students?

Nope, he's the kind that would blurt out the answers and look for mischief to occupy himself. I already have that problem with him if he's in the room when my 6 year old has speech therapy. My older one is language delayed and when he's asked questions like what do you use to cut a sandwich and is hemming and hawing trying to remember the word LO yells "It's a knife!" in the duh kind of voice.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting cheerylrob2:

Online school okay for your family? You could choose a charter school and they could tailor his lesson plans if he is gifted in an area. That way you can still keep your little guy home and your husband will be happy too. Sometimes it doesn't help any of us HS mom's or dad's when someone has an opinion on your child's educational needs and you aren't there to correct any misconceptions. Good luck.

No, not a fan of online school for us. My dh isn't concerned about the curriculum matching PS, I think it's more because in his mind the only reason I would hs is because my older son can't keep up in ps. I don't think it has occured to him what will happen when ps can't keep up with LO.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:00 PM

I think it's typical for some parents to have that thought - gifted kids need ps. But most of ps is geared toward being mediocre, those gifted or who pick things up quickly end up bored. I'd try to find out all his reasoning so you can better do research to counter. To me, HS allows a gifted child (or any child for that matter) to move at their own pace. If it's quickly, then they are free to progress as their mind sees fit rather than waiting for the class/teacher/curriculum/busywork...etc

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:02 PM
Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting kirbymom: Lots of advice here. Good advice. One thing you and hubby might want to keep in mind while thinking, ps can only go as fast as the slowest student in the class. Is your son the type that can learn on his own and keep himself motivated if he gets ahead of other students?

Nope, he's the kind that would blurt out the answers and look for mischief to occupy himself. I already have that problem with him if he's in the room when my 6 year old has speech therapy. My older one is language delayed and when he's asked questions like what do you use to cut a sandwich and is hemming and hawing trying to remember the word LO yells "It's a knife!" in the duh kind of voice.

Yep. You have a sweetypie. :)
I have a child or two that can't help themselves either. They just have to blurt out answers if someone hasn't answered fast enough to suit them.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:03 PM

I HS both a neuro-typical and a SN - I'd say HS works great for both! I think it can be a delicate business to try to explain to one child why they have to have different education than the other....ps child might ask why he has to go to school for such loooong hours then do homework, while his HS'ed brother might feel like he's being kept home because of his differences....KWIM?

Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting cheerylrob2:

Online school okay for your family? You could choose a charter school and they could tailor his lesson plans if he is gifted in an area. That way you can still keep your little guy home and your husband will be happy too. Sometimes it doesn't help any of us HS mom's or dad's when someone has an opinion on your child's educational needs and you aren't there to correct any misconceptions. Good luck.

No, not a fan of online school for us. My dh isn't concerned about the curriculum matching PS, I think it's more because in his mind the only reason I would hs is because my older son can't keep up in ps. I don't think it has occured to him what will happen when ps can't keep up with LO.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:16 PM
Quoting KickButtMama:

I HS both a neuro-typical and a SN - I'd say HS works great for both! I think it can be a delicate business to try to explain to one child why they have to have different education than the other....ps child might ask why he has to go to school for such loooong hours then do homework, while his HS'ed brother might feel like he's being kept home because of his differences....KWIM?

Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting cheerylrob2:

I agree. I think it would cause upset for both kids.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 6:15 PM
Take dh to homeschool conventions or whatnot. Especially ones that have sessions aimed at the fathers and let him hear from some educated and experienced dads about hsing from their pov. I like that you both want to own this decision together.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 5:39 PM

My dh said the same thing concerning our sn son and bright dd. We ended putting dd in kindergarten so I have more time to focus on ds. She ended up doing really well so we sent her on to 1st grade. But dh knows if things stop working I reserve the right to bring her home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)