Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Public school curriculum or 'unschooling', that is the question

Posted by   + Show Post

As a brand spanking new homeschooler,  i have SOOO many questions.   My 7th grade DD is finishing up the school year at home.  My question for the experienced homeschoolers, do you teach by the state recommended standards or do you let your child, particularly your teen, help to decide what to pursue?   My biggest fear is that my DD will not learn all that she is supposed to learn and it is hard to trust myself and the programs we chose to use that everything will be covered.  However, I read alot of stories about parents who let their kids pick their subjects and interests, for example, if the child is interested in being a veterinarian, they will focus on biology, the history of dogs-cats, etc.., stories about animals for language arts, etc....

thanks for any and all help!

by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 7:11 PM
Replies (21-27):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

The two bolded words are there for a reason.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

This is NOT true of all school experiences. I really wish people wouldn't paint with such a broad brush.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I think unschool is the way to go if you start from the first. However, if they've been in school up until now it's tough because they typically expect to be entertained, to hate learning and everything handed to them on a silver platter.

I recommend deschooling, reading The Teenage Liberation Handbook and then hitting the state recommended subjects only doing them "out of the box" in ways your kids or you come up with. NOT in traditional ways.

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:56 PM
We make sure to cover all the subjects that they cover in school but we do not use the schools curriculum. We pick and choose based on what I think looks good and fits our family. We also do some unschooling as well. I let them pursue other things that interests them. I have much younger kids than you have and we started from 1st grade. So you may need to take a different approach.
sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Neither one.  Most homeschoolers fall inbetween the 2 extremes.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:03 PM
Mine have some say, but I also am teaching three on three diff levels and try to combine them. I also have a toddler.

So they have some voice in my process, but I'm still choosing based on what I can teach best in our dynamics.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:05 PM
Examples...

I wanted to use apologia this year and showed it to the kids. They got excited about the anatomy one, so I picked that instead of going in the suggested order.
AmyG1976
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 1:24 PM
Never even looked at the piblic schools curr rukes ec, but we dont unschool we mix mash diff curr with what works for us at that time.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:57 PM
Hi. :)
You do not have to do.. either--or ..with your choices of schooling. You may decide to school both ways. You can decide to combine different choices and work within a predefined plan or you may decide to play it by ear. It is whatever works best for you and your family. The inly thing that never changes are the basics of learning. Reading..writing..arithmatic. If you follow standard, then always strive to do better than..in tbat you set the goals and do your best to reach and surpass them.
Remember, the sky is the limit. You can reach any goal you set, if you believe and you work at attaining those high goals.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)