Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Making the break!

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:15 AM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this
We did K 12 this year with my oldest for kinder. I disliked it. We are making the break!

Next year I have a 1st grade reluctant learner and a gifted kinder. Does this look ok?

Explode the code, reading eggs for phonics.
Weekly trips to the library and reading challenges (read 5 early readers this week).
Do I need to add all about reading? Wlil this be enough?

Handwriting without tears
Horizons math.
Road trip across the USA. (Confessions of a homeschoolers)

Unit studies that I make up for history/science that both kids can do together.

Read read read read read.

Will this be enough? They do ballet, piano, church wed night.. I have a Spanish curriculum to add if they can handle it. (Puertas abiertas)

I'd like to do Art day once a week, I don't need a curriculum do I? Can't art just be incorporated with the history or science unit studies?

I'm rambling sorry, I'm nervous can you tell??

I'm petitioning a local christain school to let the first grader enrol for PE, we'll see.
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:34 AM

It's perfectly normal to be nervous!  :-)  You sound fine!

All of those look good.  I make my own language arts curriculum, so I'm not sure about the All About Reading.  I'm sure someone will be able to help out there.

Welcome to the group!

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:40 AM
I think your plan sounds awesome!! Now I am curious about Road Trip lokks pretty cool!
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:22 AM
We did a very basic around the world through k12 and DS liked it. I'll probably start the year with that so my kinder can learn continents and refresh my 1st grader but then I'm super excited about this curriculum she made! I've been getting all sorts of state things. State stickers, a coloring book of the United States. Oh we'll have so much fun. A puzzle with the pieces shaped like the states.

Quoting ablackdolphin: I think your plan sounds awesome!! Now I am curious about Road Trip lokks pretty cool!
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:23 AM
Is phonic and reading and handwriting enough at this age?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

All of those look good.  I make my own language arts curriculum, so I'm not sure about the All About Reading.  I'm sure someone will be able to help out there.

Welcome to the group!

jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:26 AM
You might like use Geography through Art. It is a great idea. You study and read about a country and then do an art project to go along with it. Sounds great. Also I recommend doing Math Art projects they are a lot of fun as well. There are many math projects books on Amazing. I have one called Math Art and Amazing Math projects.
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:30 AM
I will check them out thank you!

Quoting jen2150: You might like use Geography through Art. It is a great idea. You study and read about a country and then do an art project to go along with it. Sounds great. Also I recommend doing Math Art projects they are a lot of fun as well. There are many math projects books on Amazing. I have one called Math Art and Amazing Math projects.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:19 AM

It looks good. 8)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Yes.  Use the handwriting to demonstrate proper grammar and spelling.  Use the reading to show capitalization, mechanics, and expand vocabulary.  Just pointing out the exclamation points and quotation marks while you are reading to them.  Once they are reading and learning the phonetics the spelling, grammar, and vocabulary lessons will be easier.  Typically phonics lessons stop in about 2nd grade, then you can add the others.

Quoting SMTCMMoore: Is phonic and reading and handwriting enough at this age?
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Welcome to the group!

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you so much :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Yes.  Use the handwriting to demonstrate proper grammar and spelling.  Use the reading to show capitalization, mechanics, and expand vocabulary.  Just pointing out the exclamation points and quotation marks while you are reading to them.  Once they are reading and learning the phonetics the spelling, grammar, and vocabulary lessons will be easier.  Typically phonics lessons stop in about 2nd grade, then you can add the others.

Quoting SMTCMMoore: Is phonic and reading and handwriting enough at this age?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Welcome to the group!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this
My opinion is that at these ages; the "three r's" is the key.

If you can develop their reading, 'riting, and 'rithmetic; they can learn anything!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN