Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT - heating oil

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:19 PM
  • 7 Replies

As some of you know I recently (in the end of January) moved into a new house. This house has oil heat, a new thing for me. We had zero oil when we moved in, so we got 100 gallons - seemed like a lot to me...it lasted about 3 weeks. So, with lots of wishful thinking on our part, we got another 100 gallons, which was enough to bring us to today. I wouldn't have thought that I would need more oil....in MARCH...but at $400 per fill, I'm kinda fed up with it. I heard about putting deisil in the tank and running with it. And I'm hoping this never-ending frigid weather with end sometime this year.....my question is, have you ever done the deisil thing? Do you think it would be more economical to do it for a couple of weeks than filling the tank? 

Thanks,

by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:29 PM

I wouldn't risk it, honestly. I have a friend who bought a house with oil. It used to be cheaper but not anymore!

They are converting their house to a regular furnace because it will pay for itself with in a winter or two.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I have never had oil for heating but I would be afraid to put something else in the system. Is your oven on that too? If not I would do as much of my cooking in it as possible. I will put a piece of meat in the oven on 250 & slow cook it all day long & the bi product of that is it keeps the furnacefrom kicking in as much & I get a tender cooked piece of meat for dinner! I would also get heating blankets for all the beds so that you can turn the heating down at night with out every one freezing.

RADmomma
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:54 PM
Our last house was kerosene. It was almost $5 a gallon last winter. It cost us almost $4000 to hear our house last winter. It was horrible. We even did the plastic on the windows & everything to keep the cost down. Unfortunately it was just expensive. Now we have gas & it's $100 a month,

I have heard of swapping diesel but if your furnace is under warranty it will void it. Also if something happens your insurance company can choose not cover you because you chose a non approved fuel... (At least that's what our insurance told us)

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:22 PM

You can run your oil furnace on deisil, the downside is you have to lug it home from the gas station yourself in those little gas tank jugs. So it's easier to get it in bulk. Also for a couple hundred gallons it's cheaper to get it in bulk from an oil delivery company (at $3.89/gallon) than it is at the gas station (at $4.25/gallon) but we are supposed to hit 60 degrees this weekend, even though the nights are still cold. So I'm hoping that putting in a few gallons will tide us for just the nights? And pray for spring! 

Quoting usmom3:

I have never had oil for heating but I would be afraid to put something else in the system. Is your oven on that too? If not I would do as much of my cooking in it as possible. I will put a piece of meat in the oven on 250 & slow cook it all day long & the bi product of that is it keeps the furnacefrom kicking in as much & I get a tender cooked piece of meat for dinner! I would also get heating blankets for all the beds so that you can turn the heating down at night with out every one freezing.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:31 PM

My hubby is a certified HVAC guy so I'm not worried about damages or anything. He said deisil just has a color additive that isn't in the oil delivered from the big tankers. But if you run out of oil in an emergency, like  in a snow storm, and oil company will actually go to a gas station and get you 10 gallons of deisil or kerosene and put it in your tank until they can get their tanker to you. Before my hubby got his HVAC he sold insurance for like 20 years and he never heard of it being a factor, so it might just be the company. 

If we were home owners I'd be installing a wood burning or pellet stove in a heartbeat. My dad has kerosene, so he had no sympathy when I complained at the $4/gallon price of oil since he paid almost $6/gallon a couple of weeks ago to fill his kerosene tanks! Eep!

Quoting RADmomma: Our last house was kerosene. It was almost $5 a gallon last winter. It cost us almost $4000 to hear our house last winter. It was horrible. We even did the plastic on the windows & everything to keep the cost down. Unfortunately it was just expensive. Now we have gas & it's $100 a month, I have heard of swapping diesel but if your furnace is under warranty it will void it. Also if something happens your insurance company can choose not cover you because you chose a non approved fuel... (At least that's what our insurance told us)

PinkButterfly66
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:37 PM

I have oil heating too.  When the weather warms up, we're going to look at what it costs to buy a gas furnace.  

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Is your landlord OK with it? I would do it if it was safe & they where OK with it!

Quoting KickButtMama:

You can run your oil furnace on deisil, the downside is you have to lug it home from the gas station yourself in those little gas tank jugs. So it's easier to get it in bulk. Also for a couple hundred gallons it's cheaper to get it in bulk from an oil delivery company (at $3.89/gallon) than it is at the gas station (at $4.25/gallon) but we are supposed to hit 60 degrees this weekend, even though the nights are still cold. So I'm hoping that putting in a few gallons will tide us for just the nights? And pray for spring! 

Quoting usmom3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)