Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling in Texas?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 2:59 PM
  • 3 Replies

We'll be moving there at the end of the month. Are there any pitfalls I should know about? I've been reading about the regulations online and it seems pretty simple. Any suggestions for finding a homeschool support group or park day group or something? We'll be in Grayson County, at least at first.

ETA: Whoops, I left out that we're moving from Southern California. Might be important, lol. There might be culture shock or something, because it's probably very different from what I'm used to. I've even been told that the people there tend to be friendly! Not like here, where we've really only met one of our neighbors without it turning into a horrible disaster.

by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Texas is SOOO easy to homeschool in. You just do it. THere is no reporting, mandatory testing, or attendence requirements. Try looking on Texas Homeschool Coalition for a directory of groups. You'll be  about and hour and a half north of me!  The Ft worth-Dallas area has tons of groups. Texans are known for their friendliness. Welcome!

Jilectan
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Cool, thanks!

I'm nervous about this, but excited at the same time, kwim? It's a huge change.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Texas is SOOO easy to homeschool in. You just do it. THere is no reporting, mandatory testing, or attendence requirements. Try looking on Texas Homeschool Coalition for a directory of groups. You'll be  about and hour and a half north of me!  The Ft worth-Dallas area has tons of groups. Texans are known for their friendliness. Welcome!

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Texas is one of the easiest states to homeschool in! Once you get here don't worry about contacting anyone to let them know you are homeschooling because your children have never attended a public school here you don't have to report it! Leissaintexas is right about finding a list of homeschool groups on the THSC website. You are going to be close to the Dallas aria that has lots of museums, a zoo & aquariums. I think you will love homeschooling here & realize how much freer it is here!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN