Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What's FIRST?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:42 PM
  • 23 Replies

So I have decided to definitely home school my Preschooler, starting next year, but I also have two 13 year old's(7th grade), and a 15 year old(9th grade), that I would love to home school.  I feel that making my teenagers be home-schooled after, attending public school all their life may be to much.  So I have let them, as of now make their own choice.  Sadly the school district that we moved to 2 years ago is awful.  The 2013, state testing, scores were beyond belief (Math -0%, and Reading40%).  The kids are horrible, disrespectful, and crude.  Home school has kind of become my only option.

I just have a ton of questions, and all the researching I have done, just confuses me more.  I am aware of my state laws, which basically says I have a right to teach my child anyway I want, I don't even have to report to anyone, as long as I show proof that I am teaching them the basics, which I am assuming proof means records.  So that is my next concern, keeping proper records.  Where do I start, what is the first thing I should do?

by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this

If you're not reporting to anyone, then usually keeping records means keeping a portfolio. It's like a scrapbook of the things you've been doing. Not every worksheet or book, but a sampling. I keep lists of documentaries, projects, books, etc. For each child, and I'm big on pictures. We are in a non reporting state as well, but if asked we should be able to prove we have been doing something. But our laws are weird here in CT, if we haven't reported then the state has zero ground to demand any kind of proof of education, if we file, then we would need to proffer the proof ifs asked. 

hancex6
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Whew that sounds easy enough, now what would happen if we moved to a different state, that requires proof or reporting, does it go from the time that we started residency the?  Or would we have to go back from the time we started homeschooling?  Probably a stupid question, sorry.

Quoting KickButtMama:

If you're not reporting to anyone, then usually keeping records means keeping a portfolio. It's like a scrapbook of the things you've been doing. Not every worksheet or book, but a sampling. I keep lists of documentaries, projects, books, etc. For each child, and I'm big on pictures. We are in a non reporting state as well, but if asked we should be able to prove we have been doing something. But our laws are weird here in CT, if we haven't reported then the state has zero ground to demand any kind of proof of education, if we file, then we would need to proffer the proof ifs asked. 

katyq
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this

You are only subject to a state's hs laws while you live in that state, so you would not need to show any hs documentation prior to your move to said state. Not a stupid question, being new to the concept is kind of intimidating, though it shouldn't be.

Quoting hancex6:

Whew that sounds easy enough, now what would happen if we moved to a different state, that requires proof or reporting, does it go from the time that we started residency the?  Or would we have to go back from the time we started homeschooling?  Probably a stupid question, sorry.

Quoting KickButtMama:

hancex6
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank You, yes very intimidating, and the funny thing is I have worked in the public school systems for over 9 years now, lol.  All the more reason to Homeschool;-)

Quoting katyq:

You are only subject to a state's hs laws while you live in that state, so you would not need to show any hs documentation prior to your move to said state. Not a stupid question, being new to the concept is kind of intimidating, though it shouldn't be.

Quoting hancex6:

Quoting KickButtMama:

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Maybe you'd like to keep records just to reassure yourself you have "proof" and are doing "enough". Some people feel better that way and/or with a portfolio. Some don't feel a need for anyt of that.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Moving is kinda of a pain (for lots of reasons) but for HS it's a pain because you have to get used to a new way of doing things. No state can force you to prove anything from before you lived there. Usually you have a period of time around a move before having to notify (if the new state requires notification). You can't just wait till the next year, usually it's several weeks. But again it's depends on the state. Each has drastically different laws.

The only stupid question is the one left un-asked!

Quoting hancex6:

Quoting KickButtMama:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I do this. My state requires nothing, but I am anally organized, so I like to have a record of all we've been doing. I just make it look like a scrapbook (with so,e check-lists thrown in for my type-A spirit..lol)

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Maybe you'd like to keep records just to reassure yourself you have "proof" and are doing "enough". Some people feel better that way and/or with a portfolio. Some don't feel a need for anyt of that.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like you just need to keep them on hand in case you are ever in any trouble & have to prove yourself! As far as homeschooling your teenagers it could be the best thing for them because you could customize their learning to what they are wanting to make their carers in life. So if you have one that wants to be a clothing designer get that child all the things to become a great designer & let them go to town making & even selling their creations on an etsy store. It will give them a feel for what it is & if they really want to do that & running an etsy shop could help them learn how to run a business & that is always good knowledge!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

This is how I keep records. Everynight before bed I make a list of the things I want the kids to do in the morning. I put their names and the date on there. Each child has their own "record" just a peice of paper that lists what they did on what day. Then once a week or so, I collect the papers and fill in the week's work on their record paper.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Are your teenagers okay to homeschool? I know because I pulled my 14 year old out this year. She had been PSing her whole life. She was just having a bad year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN