Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Can I homeschool without going insane?

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm a tightly wound person. I'm working on it. It's a difficult thing for me to manage. Honestly I'm a little relieved when my oldest 2 go off to school because I can focus easier on the needs of my younger 3. My kids are 9, 6, 4, 2 and 8 weeks. My oldest is dyslexic and struggling. She is smart but the school ( best in the district) is not teaching in a way that she does best with. She is falling behind. The school is also letting other kids down by pushing through subjects to get all their curriculum done whether or not the kids even understand. For example the homeworker currently being send home with the 3rd graders involves division but they are still drilling addition and subtraction math facts. They have not drilled multiplication at all even when the homework involved multiplication and basic algebra. The kids had no idea how to do the homework. Now they've moved on to division with the kids barely understanding multiplication. They also have totally squashed my 6 year olds love of learning.

Anyway I'm getting fed up with the school because I spend 2-4 hours every night going over homework anyway so I sometimes think it would be easier to just do it myself. Get actual work done, not just busy work.

I just don't know if I'd be any good at it. I'm terrible with social things too. I have no friends at all because I'm very antisocial. My kids don't really see their friends outside of school because of this. They have friends over maybe 4 times a year. Obviously that's not enough and I'm working on it. But I feel like if I homeschooled them they would never see other kids.

How do you do it? How do I do it successfully?
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:00 PM
Replies (11-12):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 7, 2014 at 3:01 PM
Quoting KrissyKC: .......

the social aspect is not as prominent or as big a deal as other people make it out.

over time, you will decide when and where social activities are necessary for your family.

This s sooo true!
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 5:21 PM

i read up on different homeschooling philosophies and especially unschooling philosophies to give myself some perspective on what I believe really matters in education. While I doubt anyone would consider my approach unschooling, and I have what looks like a school-at-home approach more days than not, I decided before I started that if it got to where I felt I needed to yell, scold, cajole or bribe to get work done, then something was wrong with the task I was requiring ds to do.

I worry often about how unsocial my entire family is. But, that's the way we operate and I don't think it's a huge hinderance to my kids' normal development not to have many playdates and friends over. In fact, I think the benefits of having my son OUT of the social dynamic he experienced in public school far outweighs any negatives thus far.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN