Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Ds will be 3 in may, what if any, schooling can we do? Mostly right now its crafts. Next week i plan on making a bird feeder out of a pine cone and making things with noodle beads. He can count to 23, knows his ABCs. a few letter sounds. shapes, most colors.

And how do you socialize? My MIL wants me to put him in pre-k, just because we are not a social family, And no one is really aware i plane on home schooling or having him do online classes. I have a sibling still in school, and from what i hear from him and my mom, its nothing like it used to be.

by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:27 PM
Replies (11-11):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 2:31 PM
1. If your family is going to be opposed to your decisions then you need to have a thick skin and not get tripped up trying to seek their approval. If you decide it's for your child's best, don't let the subject be that open for discussion.

2. That being said, my three eldest went to prek. The first I didn't have much choice because she went while I worked. It was a poorly chosen place and did not do good things for her.

My second child went because we were public schooling them at the time and they offered it free through the school district. It was very part time, and he actually loved it and excelled. I don't think he learned anything I wasn't already teaching him, but he liked the experience.

My third is very hyper, explosive, etc. I honestly put her in because I needed a few hours to work with the other two and I had a baby, too. It was more for me. But... we picked a small church run school that had extremely loving and amazing teachers. It ended up being a truly wonderful experiences for both her and I and helped me set up and continue a decent routine of learning with her.

But its by far not necessary and can actually be negative like it was for my eldest.

3. I would work more on the motor skills, in hindsight, with my 2-5 year olds. It makes everything easier and its an active age group anyway.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)