Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Manipulatives

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:22 AM
  • 14 Replies
My son, almost 3, has been asking for bear manipulatives for weeks now - the plastic ones that come in a tub & they are different colors. He loves bears, and he loves sorting.....and I got a coupon for lakeshore for 20% off....

If you have something like that, how useful was it or did you use them during the preschool years?

It's $15 plus 20% off....and I have a feeling that they will be used often in play.....did you find them worth buying if you have some?
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:36 AM
I used mine all the way through multiplication! Definitely worth it. They get lost easy though lol. Mine are in Jr high now, and I still occasionally comes across one.
Knightquester
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:52 AM

When my son was your sons age, he loved our box set of different manipulatives (the bears were his favorite) and it did help him in math but by the time he was 6, he had outgrown them.  My girls hardly ever were into them, only my eldest used them for about a year before preferring color coded step-by-step instructions over manipulatives.  I think it is totally worth it for the child that is into it.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 7, 2014 at 1:34 PM

We always just used their toys but if your son will use them I think it would be worth the investment to get!

collinsmommy0
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Okay we went. I bought some bear ones but not the ones I wanted - and more expensive :/. But they are 3 different colors & 3 different sizes so maybe we can use them in different ways.

I also bought paint, shaped sponges, & some Easter basket stuff. I spent over $50, but got $10 off with my coupon. Didn't mean to spend that much. Oops!
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 2:14 PM
If you have enough of them, you can use them for adding/subtracting, mult/division, fractions, probability, ratios and even percentages. I haven't tried to incorporate them into algebra yet. Lol!
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:18 PM
Sounds like you are about to have sone fun at your house! :)

Quoting collinsmommy0: Okay we went. I bought some bear ones but not the ones I wanted - and more expensive :/. But they are 3 different colors & 3 different sizes so maybe we can use them in different ways.

I also bought paint, shaped sponges, & some Easter basket stuff. I spent over $50, but got $10 off with my coupon. Didn't mean to spend that much. Oops!
katyq
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:42 AM

How many is in the tub? We use different manipulative (ds  almost 4) and though every child is unique, my own ds prefers buttons, hands down. He gets a little OCD with the bears and wants them all to stand up and gets frustrated when we move them around and they fall over :p but they are still used here.  You can also cut card stock into little squares or circles or any shape and draw pictures on them. I have some with spiders drawn on them and some with belly buttons on them and we use those too :p

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Mar. 8, 2014 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Buttons... Genius. We have snap cubes. I've stopped using them because they are more of a distraction. But buttons...preferably rounded ones that don't stack easily(or it would be tower central).

Quoting katyq:

How many is in the tub? We use different manipulative (ds  almost 4) and though every child is unique, my own ds prefers buttons, hands down. He gets a little OCD with the bears and wants them all to stand up and gets frustrated when we move them around and they fall over :p but they are still used here.  You can also cut card stock into little squares or circles or any shape and draw pictures on them. I have some with spiders drawn on them and some with belly buttons on them and we use those too :p

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:00 AM

We love using Manipulatives here. Have fun!

jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:08 AM
Manipulatives are so much fun. They really help kids to understand what they are doing. We just started math u see. I have a bunch of blocks which they love using them for math and building forts with them afterwards and using blocks to knock them down. Think angry birds. I also bought some blocks that link together. Those are a new favorite.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN