Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Garfield is missing! Update: I found him!!

Posted by   + Show Post

He was hiding under the couch! Go figure. But as I already went out and bought another, now we have two. It's all good. Ds is thrilled to have two books and I'm thrilled that ds is thrilled about a book at all,lol.

As many of you know, getting my 9yo ds to read books is like pulling teeth. He loves science but interesting science books are far above his reading level, comics are nice, but have too many words and pictures crammed together, books in general are just not his thing.

So someone (totally brain fart here) mentioned that their son like garfield. I gave it a shot and bought a book. Perfect! Big pictures, simple stories, not too many words. Ds didn't even look at it. Sigh... I found it on the bathroom floor. Then the day before yesterday, he just picked it up and started reading to me. I was afraid to say anything and break the spell,lol. But later I told him how much fun I had listening to the stories. He said he had fun too. *fist pump!*

Then last night he asked to read to me. Yea!!! But alas, I could not find that damn orange cat >:-( I tore that house apart looking for him. Nothing. So now I'm off to clean this freakin house and hope like hell I find this book,lol. Wish me luck.fingers crossed

by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:44 PM
Replies (21-28):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Sigh.  I pay that library an awful lot of money for those cavorting books.  I hope it's a good party to which I'm invited someday.  :)

Quoting paganbaby:

*Snorts* I'm sure yours are off cavorting with mine...

Quoting hwblyf:

I read this helpful article (I hope you heard the sarcasm in that) about staying organized.  "Create a place for library books and get all in the family on board with keeping the books there."  I hope she trips on my stack of lost library books that I'm convinced is hiding somewhere in the universe.  :)

Quoting paganbaby:

I know! I looked all day and I still can';t find it :-(

Quoting hwblyf:

Good luck!  We can go for what feels like FOREVA looking for a book.  Blast it all!!!!!

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

YEAH! That is wonderful!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I swear I'm keeping them in buissness...

And oh look! I found them! 

Quoting hwblyf:

Sigh.  I pay that library an awful lot of money for those cavorting books.  I hope it's a good party to which I'm invited someday.  :)

Quoting paganbaby:

*Snorts* I'm sure yours are off cavorting with mine...

Quoting hwblyf:

I read this helpful article (I hope you heard the sarcasm in that) about staying organized.  "Create a place for library books and get all in the family on board with keeping the books there."  I hope she trips on my stack of lost library books that I'm convinced is hiding somewhere in the universe.  :)

Quoting paganbaby:

I know! I looked all day and I still can';t find it :-(

Quoting hwblyf:

Good luck!  We can go for what feels like FOREVA looking for a book.  Blast it all!!!!!

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Awww, well ((hugs)) to both hearts.

Quoting hwblyf:

My kids have read almost the whole Lego Bible.  Shakespeare?  Not so much.  My English major heart is broken, but my Catholic heart soars.  :)

Quoting paganbaby:

I'm going to look for those now!

Quoting hwblyf:

We have the complete Lego Bibl and the Lego Shakespeare:  The Tragedies.  I just saw the other day that they have the Comedies as well.  Guess what's going on my wish list?  :)

Quoting KrissyKC: My kid loves star wars and legos. We picked up a lot of books in his areas of interest back when he was first learning. More recently, we discovered they even make a lego version of the new testament (bible). He borrowed it from some one and read the whole thing in two days. I think they saw a passage about circumcision and it used a little round green lego. My 11 yr old daughter asked me why they used green because that wasn't very realistic... lol! Seriously kids...

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 5:27 PM

I'm glad you found him

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

That's good news! He was being lazy under the couch I guess. :)

Last year when I volunteered at the school library those Garfield books were the cat's meow. We couldn't keep them on the shelves.

This one was also a hit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0756640288/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1394491682&sr=8-1

"How Stuff Works Exploded"

Along with these "National Geographic" cool facts books. Here's one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1426310498/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1394491802&sr=8-1

The Guinness book of world records is extremely popular with the younger crowd.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Me too!

Quoting coala:

I'm glad you found him

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

That looks soo cool!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

That's good news! He was being lazy under the couch I guess. :) Last year when I volunteered at the school library those Garfield books were the cat's meow. We couldn't keep them on the shelves. This one was also a hit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0756640288/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1394491682&sr=8-1 "How Stuff Works Exploded" Along with these "National Geographic" cool facts books. Here's one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1426310498/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1394491802&sr=8-1 The Guinness book of world records is extremely popular with the younger crowd.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)