Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

USAF Museum - New Space Shuttle Exhibit

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:15 AM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

We finally got to hop over to the USAF Museum (in Dayton) yesterday.  The Space Shuttle exhibit is extremely worthwhile and makes for some great photo ops.  They have a similulator where you can try to land the shuttle.  We crashed each time. :)

This is the nose, and is actually the simulator that every one of the SS Astronauts trained in.

Here is the inside of the body to get up to the nose.  

My youngest astronaut.  First time she hasn't needed help reaching the helmet!

My oldest astronaut. :)  This is located in a really cool room with all kinds of interactive simulators.  There are two for the shuttle: in the first you try to toss a satellite into the hull, and in the second you try to hook up with the International Space Station.

There are also flight simulators, a place to land a wooden plane on the deck of a flight carrier, and tons of information on pilots and astronauts both male and female.

Silver goblets inscribed with each name from Doolittle's Raiders.  Every year the men would meet and drink a toast.  They turned the cups upside down for their friends who had passed away.  There are only four cups left upright.

We signed up for the bus that drives onto Wright Patt AFB to see the Presidential and test aircraft.  President Kennedy/Johnson's plane is there as well as FDR, Eisenhower and Truman.

This is in the aircraft that carried JFK down to Texas, and his casket back.  The table is close to this sign:

Showing the location where President Johnson was sworn in with Mrs. Kennedy standing by his side.

This UFO is over there too.  Pretty fun looking!

Lastly, Elyssa with my dad.  We all had a great time.

If you live close I highly recommend going.  It's well worth the trip.  :)

by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:13 PM
2 moms liked this

We had a space day at our local air museum a few years ago. It was fun, but I'm sure my boys would rather see the shuttle!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 8, 2014 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Awesome! I love the pictures! So cute too.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 8, 2014 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I can not wait to go see the space shuttle Endeavor in the CA science center! We haven't been able to get down there yet and I so want to!
TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 3:57 PM
How adorable!

Quoting KickButtMama:

We had a space day at our local air museum a few years ago. It was fun, but I'm sure my boys would rather see the shuttle!

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 3:57 PM
Thank you Sonja!

Quoting kirbymom: Awesome! I love the pictures! So cute too.
TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 4:01 PM
If you go please take pictures if it's not to much trouble. We'd love to see it.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: I can not wait to go see the space shuttle Endeavor in the CA science center! We haven't been able to get down there yet and I so want to!
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Adorable!

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 6:01 PM
Thanks Pagan! :)

Quoting paganbaby:

Adorable!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)