Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

From homeschool to public school.

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:32 AM
  • 11 Replies
Wondering if anyone has had a child transition from hs to ps, what was it like?

We are reaching the time that my oldest willl be transitioning, our choice all along. No judging or bashing please. Just generally curious. He will be going into sixth.
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:58 AM
Sorry. I'm not much help here but I think there are a few moms here who have gone from hs to ps. I'm sure one of them will be able to help ease your mind.
I am sure that you will do fine. :) Are you guys excited?
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 5:25 PM

I haven't. Well not really. My 14 year old went to public school up till 8th grade. I pulled her and we're finishng the school year but she wants to go back to high school.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Can I ask why you're planning and sending him to public school for 6th? No judging at all I swear :-)

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 7:49 AM

Yes, one of my grandchildren has gone from home school to middle school (public school).  She is making straight As.  She did however have some trouble, at first, with the math vocabulary. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter transitioned to private school (but not public; not sure if it makes a difference). I'll not comment on the academics, because she attends a specialized private school for dyslexic children, so there are obvious glaring differences in work given, presentation, expectations, etc.

She started this past fall and we are STILL getting used to the homework load (she's in the upper school - grades 6-8); upwards of 2-3 hours most evenings. NO time for extracurriculars or sports.

She struggles with keeping track of assignments. I would encourage you to implement an agenda or binder system NOW for your son, so he's used to being accountable for his own assignments (nightly homework, upcoming tests to study for, AND long term projects/essays/etc).

Little things like switching classes, raising his hand, asking permission to use the restroom, eating his lunch in about 15 minutes... those are actually things that throw you for a loop. Boy/girl dynamics at this age can be VERY tricky too, lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 9, 2014 at 6:34 PM

I'm not much help from personal experience, but one of my friends transitioned hers this year - he went into 5th I believe. They were worried about how he'd like it, but so far so good. They labeled it the "Great Experiment" so their kid knew it wasn't a forever thing if it bombed. But they now think they will continue on since it's worked out so well.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 7:57 PM

I would ask to tour the school with your child. Then, I would sit down with his guidance counselor and see how the school is willing to help. Maybe they would let him attend a day or two to help him understand exactly how everything works in so far as what the teachers are looking for in behavior, how the bells work, lunch etc.

KenneMaw
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Can you put off the transition until he is in ready for high school?  Middle school years are brutal.  My DD has been in public school from K-7 and we pulled her mid-way through 7th grade to homeschool due to health issues.   Our middle school is 6-8th and the differnt grades are kept apart.  My DD was getting frustrated because school became more about being social, kids being the class clown or defiant, instead of being there to learn.  

KenneMaw
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 6:14 PM

This is a great response!   The agenda is a MUST!  Our DD had to carry it everyday, use it every day and the teachers checked it one time per week.  Her school day was from 9-4 and she got home about 5pm on the bus.  She often had 2-3 hours of homework as well, so our evenings were shot as a family. 

It is a big adjustment, but he if he is bright and social, he will do just fine :-)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

My daughter transitioned to private school (but not public; not sure if it makes a difference). I'll not comment on the academics, because she attends a specialized private school for dyslexic children, so there are obvious glaring differences in work given, presentation, expectations, etc.

She started this past fall and we are STILL getting used to the homework load (she's in the upper school - grades 6-8); upwards of 2-3 hours most evenings. NO time for extracurriculars or sports.

She struggles with keeping track of assignments. I would encourage you to implement an agenda or binder system NOW for your son, so he's used to being accountable for his own assignments (nightly homework, upcoming tests to study for, AND long term projects/essays/etc).

Little things like switching classes, raising his hand, asking permission to use the restroom, eating his lunch in about 15 minutes... those are actually things that throw you for a loop. Boy/girl dynamics at this age can be VERY tricky too, lol.

jakana2369
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:58 AM
We are doing it in the fall. My 8th grader is hs sence the 1st of the year. She doesn't like or wanted to be home schooled. She does online learning. I dont think she will have any trouble adjusting.

You know your kids.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN