Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

laptops or computer or tablets

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:46 PM
  • 22 Replies
Hello i have a questions? Do you all families use laptops computers tablets for your childen? Is it for all classes? If not what classes? Which one do you use? Is it easier for you and the children. I am asking because for state we have to lecture 148 days a school year. One part i know that i can do is Cloud 365. I am trying to see how to do it for 2014-2015 school year.
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:53 PM

We unschool so we don't have classes. We do however use computers, tablets & the internet everyday to help us research & learn the things my children are interested in knowing!

Learning to use computers & other technology is very important in this day & age! They are not going to go away ever! For a matter of fact they are just going to get more advanced & become more ingrained in our everyday lives then they already are!

Jilectan
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 6:25 PM

We don't have classes, as such, so no lectures. We do use computers and tablets for some things. When I was having ds work through a typing course, he was using the computer. DD uses a tablet for phonics practice and math, sometimes.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I'm not sure what you mean, exactly. We do not utilize a virtual school, and work on the computer (academics) is minimal. My son will occasionally use the computer for a phonics game, and when my dd was home she used it for research; otherwise electronics are used for pleasure. We have several laptops and tablets in the house. I prefer the laptop and that is what my children use the most as well.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 10:06 AM
If I need to have the kids look something up, we generally use my tablet or their phones. Other than that, we have no computer work. We don't use a computer based curriculum.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 10:52 AM

We are considering getting the kids their own lap top. That way they can type of their assignments and can do research without all of us battling to use the computer at the same time. I plan on hopefully next year teaching my daughter who will be 5th grade on how to properly use Microsoft Word, Excell, and Power Point. She can do book reports then on Word or Power Point instead of writing them for instance... She'll also be practicing typing for a half hour every day next year until her typing gets better. We use Duolingo (I think thats how its spelled) on our kindles for foreign language (its free and offers German, French, Spanish, and Italian). For history next year, we're mostly using http://www.timemaps.com/history so I want her to be able to pull it up on the computer for the readings and explore the maps a little more.

Other than that, we have no  need for a computer for the kids. And truly, I'm sure I could make it work without each of them having their own, but I like being on the computer too lol. I don't have lecture requirements though either where I am....

kmath
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 12:39 PM

We do some stuff on the computer.  He does MobyMax everyday for Math and Grammar and we use Code.org and KhanAcademy for computer programing, plus he does his research on the computer.  He has a Chromebook that he uses for everything that he does online.

oahoah
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 5:26 PM

We have a laptop and kindle that the kids use for school and fun.  I think a laptop is better suited than a tablet for lectures and/or travel purposes (working at a library or whatever).

tntmom1027
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 6:16 PM

We bought a Desktop for our son to use for school work etc. We do a fair amount online but we do a lot offline as well. Most of his computer time is directly supervised by me. Meaning I'm working with him on homework. We let him play "games"(most are pretty educational) and watch a few videos but it's in the living room so it's supervised. 

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 11, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Today I just moved one laptop to the area where we do school.  The kids use the laptop for math games, researching things, and DD watches her math DVD on it.  They use my iPad for some educational games and sometimes to do their Bible work.

I think now that the laptop is right there (and I have my own) it may be used more.  Before, I would always bring mine to that room, but I use it and it's really quite new so I don't like them using it too much alone.  I am much more comfortable with them using the less expensive, older version.  I want them to practice typing more, so I will probably give more typing assignments since it's right there. 

We have considered getting them their own laptops, but I don't think it's necessary at this point.  Maybe when they are older (they are 10 and 11 right now).

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 11, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Quoting No_Difference:

We are considering getting the kids their own lap top. That way they can type of their assignments and can do research without all of us battling to use the computer at the same time. I plan on hopefully next year teaching my daughter who will be 5th grade on how to properly use Microsoft Word, Excell, and Power Point. She can do book reports then on Word or Power Point instead of writing them for instance... She'll also be practicing typing for a half hour every day next year until her typing gets better. We use Duolingo (I think thats how its spelled) on our kindles for foreign language (its free and offers German, French, Spanish, and Italian). For history next year, we're mostly using http://www.timemaps.com/history so I want her to be able to pull it up on the computer for the readings and explore the maps a little more. Other than that, we have no  need for a computer for the kids. And truly, I'm sure I could make it work without each of them having their own, but I like being on the computer too lol. I don't have lecture requirements though either where I am....

Thank you for sharing the timemaps.com, I just went to look at it out of curiosity and am loving it!  I may add that to our history.  It looks like a great quick over view!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)