Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My son is a K12 first grader.  We are hating K12, so next year I am going for it, and going the traditional route. 

I am shopping around for math curriculums.  I am looking for a curriculum that encourges number sense  along with skills.

Has anyone used Math U See or Singapore Math.

Thanks.

by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 8:58 PM
Replies (11-20):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 11:28 AM

We use Life of Fred and K5 math work sheets (I copy them down from the computer,lol) for my 9yo. Most of it is just reveiw and reinforcing concepts right now. Once he finishes addition and subtraction I'm thinking of moving on to Mathantics. They're math videos on youtube. I paid 20$ to have access to all of their videos although the first few are free.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

We use life of Fred and love it. We were doing TT but found it was too abstract. We use math u see and love it. Here is a pic of my kids having fun after math class
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 1:32 PM
Quoting jen2150:

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

We use life of Fred and love it. We were doing TT but found it was too abstract. We use math u see and love it. Here is a pic of my kids having fun after math class

Are those the Math U See manipulatives? If not then where'd you get them and are the basucally the same as the Math U See ones?
jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 1:46 PM
Just ones I had. They have them on amazon. I also bought some snap together on amazon for $10. I didn't want to spend $40 for the math u see ones. I may purchase them next year. Depends on how well the ones I have work.

Quoting chotovec82:
Quoting jen2150:

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Are those the Math U See manipulatives? If not then where'd you get them and are the basucally the same as the Math U See ones?
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Here's my oldest playing with patterns using his MUS manipulatives.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 11, 2014 at 3:01 PM

We just started Math U See with my 5th grader.  I have high hopes for it for her.  But I would never use it with my advanced 6th grader.  My 5th grader is dyslexic, hates math, and it doesn't come easy to her at all.  We have tried 4 different things this school year (our first year homeschooling).  What I am loving about Math U See is it is mastery, our ps used a spiral program (Everyday Math) and I would never recommend that for any child to be completely honest.  It worked fine for my DS, but he had already learned at home so it was all a review to him.  I am considering Singapore for him later, but I'm not sure.  He is using BJU right now and it is working fine.

I know Math U See is not a very rigorous program, but for DD, I think it will be more than sufficient.  She isn't going to be a mathematician and that is fine. MUS will give her a solid foundation.  I may try to switch her in high school, I'm not sure.  But MUS is going to be what we use for a while I think.

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

i'm using MathUSee with a 4th grade, homeshooling for the first time this year, and he really struggles in math. The program is really good for him and he doesn't get frustrated at all and actually moves along pretty quickly.

I could imagine a high performing math student could benefit from a different program, though. 

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this
We didn't like MUS at all. Too much repetition. Too slow moving. She was bored to tears daily.

Now we use Singapore and Miquon and love it. We also recently added Life of Fred on the side and she asks for it every day now. It's somehow become her reward for finishing her math lesson, she gets a chapter of Fred.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this
We just got math u see and love it so far!
supermonstermom
by New Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Quoting Mommy2Phenley: We didn't like MUS at all. Too much repetition. Too slow moving. She was bored to tears daily. Now we use Singapore and Miquon and love it. We also recently added Life of Fred on the side and she asks for it every day now. It's somehow become her reward for finishing her math lesson, she gets a chapter of Fred.

Was it an easy transisiton form MUS to Singapore math?  I am thinking about starting out with MUS for him to make sure he gets it, and then move on to Singapore math, which I hear is more challenging.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)