Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My son is a K12 first grader.  We are hating K12, so next year I am going for it, and going the traditional route. 

I am shopping around for math curriculums.  I am looking for a curriculum that encourges number sense  along with skills.

Has anyone used Math U See or Singapore Math.

Thanks.

by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 8:58 PM
Replies (21-24):
Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:09 AM

Quoting supermonstermom:

Quoting Mommy2Phenley: We didn't like MUS at all. Too much repetition. Too slow moving. She was bored to tears daily. Now we use Singapore and Miquon and love it. We also recently added Life of Fred on the side and she asks for it every day now. It's somehow become her reward for finishing her math lesson, she gets a chapter of Fred.

Was it an easy transisiton form MUS to Singapore math?  I am thinking about starting out with MUS for him to make sure he gets it, and then move on to Singapore math, which I hear is more challenging.

We were at the K level when we switched so there wasn't much to transition as far as methods she'd learned and such. We also made the mistake of starting with Singapore Earlybird, so she still wasn't happy with the switch. I finally dropped K math all together, covered the basics with her on my own for a short time, then started singapore 1. That has gone wonderfully. We alternate with Miquon going back and forth as we need a break from one or as we need reinforcement of a topic.

For DD2, I will be starting with Singapore Essentials as soon as she seems ready for K math. I wouldn't recommend MUS just to start if you know you'll do Singapore. Singapore is more challenging, but there is no need for a starter curriculum to learn it first. It does an excellent job of teaching the concepts from scratch. And the methods will be different so I'd think you would run in to more confusion switching than just starting with Singapore.

If you feel he needs any sort of lead up to grade-level Singapore, then I would recommend getting Singapore 1b and going over that either over the summer or at the beginning of the year. Then he could get used to the methods and style while reviewing topics he's already covered. Challenging word problems for level 1 could be good for over summer too. If he's mathy and gets it easily, I'd go with CWP, if he struggles with math or is on target without it coming easy, I'd go with 1b.

That's just my 2 cents as a Singapore user who has not yet done level 2, so just keep that in mind!

Our homeschooling blog: Seeking Squirrels

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm back to comment again, lol :)

I've read another poster saying that she didn't use it past the Primer (Kinder level) and her daughter was bored. The Primer should not be used as representative of the entire program. I have a son using the Primer now and it is very easy for him. However, I have my 2nd grader using Beta and some things he is challenged with and then there are lessons that are easy for him. If you use the curriculum longer than the Primer level than I am sure most people love it. Infact I know that most homeschoolers love it beacuse it's near impossible to buy a used set. People get crazy when they see a set of this curriculum for sale for a decent price.
rmgriffberg
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

we just starting using it and so far i love it and so does ds (5)

supermonstermom
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

Quoting supermonstermom:

Quoting Mommy2Phenley: We didn't like MUS at all. Too much repetition. Too slow moving. She was bored to tears daily. Now we use Singapore and Miquon and love it. We also recently added Life of Fred on the side and she asks for it every day now. It's somehow become her reward for finishing her math lesson, she gets a chapter of Fred.

Was it an easy transisiton form MUS to Singapore math?  I am thinking about starting out with MUS for him to make sure he gets it, and then move on to Singapore math, which I hear is more challenging.

We were at the K level when we switched so there wasn't much to transition as far as methods she'd learned and such. We also made the mistake of starting with Singapore Earlybird, so she still wasn't happy with the switch. I finally dropped K math all together, covered the basics with her on my own for a short time, then started singapore 1. That has gone wonderfully. We alternate with Miquon going back and forth as we need a break from one or as we need reinforcement of a topic.

For DD2, I will be starting with Singapore Essentials as soon as she seems ready for K math. I wouldn't recommend MUS just to start if you know you'll do Singapore. Singapore is more challenging, but there is no need for a starter curriculum to learn it first. It does an excellent job of teaching the concepts from scratch. And the methods will be different so I'd think you would run in to more confusion switching than just starting with Singapore.

If you feel he needs any sort of lead up to grade-level Singapore, then I would recommend getting Singapore 1b and going over that either over the summer or at the beginning of the year. Then he could get used to the methods and style while reviewing topics he's already covered. Challenging word problems for level 1 could be good for over summer too. If he's mathy and gets it easily, I'd go with CWP, if he struggles with math or is on target without it coming easy, I'd go with 1b.

That's just my 2 cents as a Singapore user who has not yet done level 2, so just keep that in mind!

Thank you.  I will keep that in mind. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)