Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Apparently anyone with a solid understand of a math problem such as 52-27 would approach the problem like this:

Start at 27

27+3=30

30+20= 50

50+2= 52

3+2+20= 25

Ok am I the only one thinking that that's horse poop?

I'm not great with math and I admit that but this is my approach:

52-27

12-7=5

40-20=20

20+5=25

My husband who is an engineer said that he would Solve 52-27 like this:

52-7=45

45-20=25

We both find the above way very long and has unnecessary steps.

The reason I ask is because on another board the teacher said that this was the method that people with strong math concepts use to figure out problems in their head.

Also I see this frequently as CC aligned or how the CC says to figure out these problems. To me all those steps are confusing. I dunno... I just don't get it.

by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 1:03 AM
Replies (21-22):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:48 PM

My husband is an engineer as well and is VERY strong, conceptually, in mathematics.

He thinks CC math standards and suggested implementation are a joke - seriously, he laughs about it.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:05 PM
Quoting AutymsMommy:

My husband is an engineer as well and is VERY strong, conceptually, in mathematics.

He thinks CC math standards and suggested implementation are a joke - seriously, he laughs about it.

Yea my husband thinks that those methods are beyond ridiculous. He helped to pick out our boys' math curriculum. I asked him about those methods because what we use for math doesn't have all these "new" ideas in it. He honestly thought that that wasn't a logical process for mental math; however, he thought my approach was awful too, lol! He's very stong with math concepts and can do any math problem from simple math to calculus, logorithims (SP?), and other complex math. His skills are just amazing. I wish I had half of his math abilities
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN