Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need a challenging math curriculum

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 3:14 PM
  • 29 Replies
My son is in 2nd grade and has been flying through his math. We're using Christian Liberty this year. He is almost done with his book for 2nd grade. I'm looking for something a little more challenging for 3rd grade and we plan on starting it as soon as his 2nd grade math is finished. I'm looking for one that isn't CC aligned, preferably but not limited to Christian oriented. I've been looking at Abeka but I'm looking for some other suggestions too. Also, what are your thoughts on the following 3rd grade materials? Thanks :)

Switched on Schoolhouse History/Geography
Abeka Math and Language Arts
Bob Jones Science
God's Great Covenant (Bible)
by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:07 PM
I don't know much about those curriculums listed; however we use Math U See. Math U See is a mastery program that is designed to build a strong mathmatical foundation. I know a lot of people in this group don't seem to like it because it's repititive. However, that's how most people learn math by continually bringing in concepts already taught to keep that concept fresh in ones mind. It's for all levels of learners. There are assessment tests so you know taht your child is in the right book. Both of my sons learn very quickly and are very bright. My oldest is advanced (the public school that he was in tested him) and I believe that my middle son is also advanced but without a test I can't say for sure. They are both doing great with this program. I do not feel like they are lagging behind anyone else or that it's not challenging enough for them. The manipulatives are awesome and really help them if they don't see what's going on. I think it's a wonderful program. We also supplement with Life Of Fred which both of them really love. So those would be my recommendations.

I want to add more.

I see a lot of people say it's (MUS) not challenging enough... I guess I just don't get it. Right now my son is adding up multiple digits, such as:

+ 9230
-------

+567
+498
-------

He's also heading into subtracting same type of multiple digit numbers. He has learned so many things. Sure they break it down and gradually add in more concepts (hence the mastery instead of spiral) but I wouldn't say it's not challenging.

I would say that if your kid isn't being challenged enough with this curriculum then you put them in the wrong book, hence the assement tests.

The Beta Book (about 2nd grade level) Covers:
Place value
Sequencing
Inequalities
Rounding to 10
Add multiple digit
Skip count by 2s
Regrouping

Skip count by 10s, coins
Skip count by 5s, nickel
Money
Rounding up to 100
Add money
Column addition
Measure: Foot
Perimeter

1,000s
Rount to 1,000s
Mult. Digit column 1
Mult. Digit Column 2
Mult. Digit Subtraction
Time: minutes
Regrouping

Time: hours
Subtract 3 digits
Ordinal Numbers
Subtract 4 digits
Subtract Money
Subtract Mult. Digit
Read Gauges
Graphs

This is very thorough for addition and subtraction and spends enough time on each subject for the children to actually get the concept and actually retain the information given.

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:19 PM
I would say Singapore or Beast Academy. Singapore is aligned I believe (I'm not sure what level they're on for that, mine from last year is not) but I understand they are making minimal changes from their already rigorous program. (I'm no cc fan but I don't reject a program that happens to align). I would not consider MUS to be challenging.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Mar. 11, 2014 at 10:05 PM
singapore primary us editions is not aligned :-) thats what we will be using
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katyq
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 10:20 PM

If you want something challenging, then you should be looking at cc aligned material.

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:38 AM

I just went to the Singapore math forums to find the newest info on their alignment (or not) with CC. They said they are creating a cc aligned edition, but it will be a third edition, not replacing either of the already existing editions. So there is US, Standards, and they are working on Core Edition. We use Standards, which is adapted from US with additional topics covered.

Precious333
by Julia on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:02 AM
We also use singapore and like it
TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:36 AM

We use "Math in Focus - The Singapore Approach" for the 3rd and 6th grades and love it.  It's more advanced than the previous program they used in ps ("Everyday Math").  I would highly recommend it.  It's heavy on word problems, bar models, and manipulatives.  My girls are both extremely visual, so those are a huge a help.  The bar models have a little bit of a learning curve, but once children have those down the word problems are so much easier to solve.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:50 PM

I can't comment on your choices for curricula, as the materials are protestant and young earth - two things we aren't.

CLE is considered one of the most rigorous traditional maths available, as is Horizons. Both are spiral in approach.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:52 PM

That can be argued. CC overcomplicates things, but I wouldn't consider it more challenging - in fact, some homeschool publishers (like MM) had to dumb down and move topics up in order to align.

Quoting katyq:

If you want something challenging, then you should be looking at cc aligned material.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

katyq
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Cc essentially moves math standards up a year. That isn't to say that no one was doing math as challenging as what common core requires, but let's be honest here, this is a country where the highest level of math most students achieve in high school is Advanced algebra. Compare that to what students are studying in other countries. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

That can be argued. CC overcomplicates things, but I wouldn't consider it more challenging - in fact, some homeschool publishers (like MM) had to dumb down and move topics up in order to align.

Quoting katyq:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)