Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Spelling lists- Yay or Nay?

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:12 PM
  • 36 Replies

What about spelling tests?

by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4wildbeasts
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:18 PM
On Mondays my kids do Wordly Wise for vocabulary. Then they copy down the words and those are the ones that we use during the week as spelling words. On Fridays they take a spelling test.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:19 PM
Not any more. My kids pick their own spelling words and sometimes we do a fun project using their words. We mostly learn words by using them in our other subjects. My has learned many words naturally just by using them. I think kids naturally learn words once they start writing more. I also do cover spelling tips with them. I encourage them to look words up as well. Sometimes they come to me during their free time wanting to know how to spell words for roblox game. I write them a piece of paper. They keep the paper and type the words in over and over. Great hands on spelling practice.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:25 PM

I've never heard of that program. Is it online?

Quoting 4wildbeasts: On Mondays my kids do Wordly Wise for vocabulary. Then they copy down the words and those are the ones that we use during the week as spelling words. On Fridays they take a spelling test.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Maybe I should introduce roblox to my kids. LOL

Quoting jen2150: Not any more. My kids pick their own spelling words and sometimes we do a fun project using their words. We mostly learn words by using them in our other subjects. My has learned many words naturally just by using them. I think kids naturally learn words once they start writing more. I also do cover spelling tips with them. I encourage them to look words up as well. Sometimes they come to me during their free time wanting to know how to spell words for roblox game. I write them a piece of paper. They keep the paper and type the words in over and over. Great hands on spelling practice.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:46 PM
I use the lesson's vocab words as spelling lists. Plus, I will use word of the day with the definitions as well.
katyq
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 10:33 PM

We are going to be using sequential spelling which has daily spelling lists. 

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 10:44 PM
The curriculum we use right now does spelling tests. They do a pretest and a post test. Honestly the curriculum is pure crap. Next year or maybe this year we're going to be using sequential spelling. It also has spelling tests. We'll see how it goes. Hoping that this program works well or him. Aiden is a horrible speller :(
4wildbeasts
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 10:52 PM
It is online. The homeschooling buyer's co op had a deal on it, so we decided to give it a try. We like it so far.

Quoting mem82:

I've never heard of that program. Is it online?

Quoting 4wildbeasts: On Mondays my kids do Wordly Wise for vocabulary. Then they copy down the words and those are the ones that we use during the week as spelling words. On Fridays they take a spelling test.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 10:58 PM
I wasn't giving a list to my 6 year old, just doing activities to practice spelling but then I realized when I started to give spelling words it made him more aware of spelling in general.
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 11:19 PM
I don't really use spelling list and test. She learns how to spell by looking words up and/or sounding them out. The words stick better with her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN