Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are you guys going to take a Spring Break?  We are the last week of this month.  We'll do some zoo and museum trips, but I'm also going to let the girls zone out on the xbox and be slugs.  It will be nice to take a break then start again fresh.

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:54 AM
Replies (21-30):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this

April 18th is our last official day, so we are just pushing through.  We'll move to a light schedule after the 18th.  Also if we were going by hours we would have even less time ( out of our 900 hours we have 880 completed!  YAY!) 

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:16 PM

That will be a terrific time!  Good luck on the skating competition, and I know you'll have so much fun helping with the dress.

Quoting coala:

We are taking about 2 weeks towards the end of April.  My parents are coming into town for a HUGE skating competition for 2 of my family members.  The girls are  super excited...after that we are going to go out of town to visit my best friend and her family.  I'm most excited by this because her ODD has asked that I go shopping with her and her mom to pick out a dress for the 8th grade dance.  I can't wait....6 week countdown.

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Fantastic job Blue!  

May I ask you something?  Are you completely finished with your books at the end of the year?  We have 2.25 months left and are 200+ pages along in each book for both sets of Social Studies, Math, Science, Reading Street, etc.  I figure we'll easily be 75% done with each book.   We've also done a lot of out-of-the-main book projects with our Mailbox Books, the library, etc.  Does that seem pretty decent?  We've learned so much, so it just feels a little off to not completely finish.  I may have us skim through to ends the last two weeks.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

April 18th is our last official day, so we are just pushing through.  We'll move to a light schedule after the 18th.  Also if we were going by hours we would have even less time ( out of our 900 hours we have 880 completed!  YAY!) 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Levi will not be finished with his math book.  He's on lesson 17 and I don't let them take their unit tests until they have automaticity.  For Levi that means he needs to do time drills for addition until he can do 15 per minute.  (It's gonna be awhile! LOL)

For language arts and science I make my own curriculum, so we'll finish all of the stories and books I picked out.  For history we do half of a book (Story of the world) per year and read level appropriate books around it.

Remember that most textbooks have much more than you can possibly do in 180 days.  I don't remember ever finishing a textbook when I was teaching, so I'm totally okay with not getting it done.

It sounds like you are doing fine to me.  For science I would check next year's book and see if they cover any of the stuff again.  I have quite a few science texts and they seem to cover some things (water cycle, forces, plant and animal classifications) over and over again with a little more depth each time.  I felt just fine skipping some of it and just picking it up the next year.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Fantastic job Blue!  

May I ask you something?  Are you completely finished with your books at the end of the year?  We have 2.25 months left and are 200+ pages along in each book for both sets of Social Studies, Math, Science, Reading Street, etc.  I figure we'll easily be 75% done with each book.   We've also done a lot of out-of-the-main book projects with our Mailbox Books, the library, etc.  Does that seem pretty decent?  We've learned so much, so it just feels a little off to not completely finish.  I may have us skim through to ends the last two weeks.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 2:59 PM

We will be done in April but I can kind of thinking about it because here children are not done till June and I do childcare and they do Spring Break next week so we will be just wrting letters to Tuesday.

https://www.facebook.com/homeschoolpenpals

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Thank you so much!  I have next year's social studies and science already, so I'll see what is redundant, then let the girls concentrate on the other sections.  The next 3rd grade unit of social studies has folk tales like Paul Bunyan, Casey Jones, etc.  I'd really like to tie that in (for both girls) with stories and writing too.  It was stressful thinking of how to cram in fun along with the other pages.

Good luck to Levi with his time drills!  Elyssa and I are taking a two-week break from the book to play multiplication board games.  Money is next, and I also want to take our time with that.

That's so cool that you make your own language arts & science lessons.  Your background would be so helpful for such things!  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Levi will not be finished with his math book.  He's on lesson 17 and I don't let them take their unit tests until they have automaticity.  For Levi that means he needs to do time drills for addition until he can do 15 per minute.  (It's gonna be awhile! LOL)

For language arts and science I make my own curriculum, so we'll finish all of the stories and books I picked out.  For history we do half of a book (Story of the world) per year and read level appropriate books around it.

Remember that most textbooks have much more than you can possibly do in 180 days.  I don't remember ever finishing a textbook when I was teaching, so I'm totally okay with not getting it done.

It sounds like you are doing fine to me.  For science I would check next year's book and see if they cover any of the stuff again.  I have quite a few science texts and they seem to cover some things (water cycle, forces, plant and animal classifications) over and over again with a little more depth each time.  I felt just fine skipping some of it and just picking it up the next year.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Fantastic job Blue!  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 5:45 PM

It would be tricky tackling childcare and hs.  Sounds like you'll have a nice time though!

Quoting motheroffour186:

We will be done in April but I can kind of thinking about it because here children are not done till June and I do childcare and they do Spring Break next week so we will be just wrting letters to Tuesday.

https://www.facebook.com/homeschoolpenpals

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I love those tall tale type folk tales!  They do make for some really cool writing assignments.

Levi needs all the luck he can get.  He hates time drills, that boy can distract himself with a blank wall!  LOL  My kids like to help me count and roll coins for the bank, see if your bank gives out the rolls.  It's the only thing that got Levi skip counting.  

I thought I'd save money by making my own curric, but seriously, I think I spent more than many of the currics out there.  I just wonder about how much I'd want to add to anything I bought....maybe it's a wash?  LOL

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Thank you so much!  I have next year's social studies and science already, so I'll see what is redundant, then let the girls concentrate on the other sections.  The next 3rd grade unit of social studies has folk tales like Paul Bunyan, Casey Jones, etc.  I'd really like to tie that in (for both girls) with stories and writing too.  It was stressful thinking of how to cram in fun along with the other pages.

Good luck to Levi with his time drills!  Elyssa and I are taking a two-week break from the book to play multiplication board games.  Money is next, and I also want to take our time with that.

That's so cool that you make your own language arts & science lessons.  Your background would be so helpful for such things!  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Fantastic job Blue!  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 7:34 PM

They were always my favorites growing up.  We'll do some fun folk art too.

How funny about the wall.  :)  My girls are right there with him.  They're just fine when we're doing math for fun but toss a timer on it and they both freeze like a deer in the headlights.

I'm sure you're better than even.  I can see adding just one more super happening item, then another . . . It would be hard to stop.   

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I love those tall tale type folk tales!  They do make for some really cool writing assignments.

Levi needs all the luck he can get.  He hates time drills, that boy can distract himself with a blank wall!  LOL  My kids like to help me count and roll coins for the bank, see if your bank gives out the rolls.  It's the only thing that got Levi skip counting.  

I thought I'd save money by making my own curric, but seriously, I think I spent more than many of the currics out there.  I just wonder about how much I'd want to add to anything I bought....maybe it's a wash?  LOL

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Fantastic job Blue!  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Spoken like a true book addict!  :-)

Quoting TidewaterClan:

They were always my favorites growing up.  We'll do some fun folk art too.

How funny about the wall.  :)  My girls are right there with him.  They're just fine when we're doing math for fun but toss a timer on it and they both freeze like a deer in the headlights.

I'm sure you're better than even.  I can see adding just one more super happening item, then another . . . It would be hard to stop.   

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Fantastic job Blue!  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)