Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Would You Like to See Cursive Writing Preserved?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:43 PM
  • 19 Replies

Cursive Writing Lessons Should Be Mandatory in ALL States

by Lisa Fogarty

Even though cursive writing, or script, seems to have gone the way of the telegraph in recent years, some states -- including, most recently, Tennessee -- are working to try and preserve it. A bill is about to go before their state House that would make it mandatory for children to learn how to write in script at school, most likely in the third grade. One lawmaker, who is also a teacher, was reportedly inspired to write the bill after he discovered only about half of all children in the state could read a teacher's writing if he or she wrote in cursive. The move is a step in the right direction -- now if only every state would jump on the script bandwagon.

Over the years, I've heard a few decent arguments for why cursive writing should be eliminated from the school curriculum:

It frees up more time in the day when kids could be learning math and science skills, which they severely lack.

Computers have replaced traditional writing.

Common Core ELA Standards don't address the need to teach cursive writing.

I get it -- but I feel these reasons are as valid as the ones I'm going to list for why children should absolutely learn to write in script:

• It's a skill that gives them access to history. Why shouldn't they be able to read historical documents as they appeared at that time -- or even old family letters?
  • If teachers spend 20 minutes at the end of each school day teaching and letting kids practice cursive writing, it will in no way take away from the time they spend learning other subjects.
  • Unlike typing, writing in script forces you to really stop and consider what you're putting down on paper. This isn't a bad thing!
  • Cursive writing has been shown to help develop sensory skills.
  • Most people over the age of 20 know how to read and write in script and write their signatures. Why would we willingly block this knowledge from our children? There simply is no good reason not to let them in on what so many others already know.

Children and teens may always choose to type their messages to friends. But they should be taught an alternative way to write, as well. You never know when they'll want to send an old-fashioned love letter or read their grandmother's diary. Don't laugh -- it could happen.

Do you want your children to learn cursive writing?
Do you think it is an important skill?
Do you teach your kids cursive?

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rmgriffberg
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:51 PM

i will be teaching my kids cursive, how else will they sign their names?

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:29 PM
I believe that cursive is important. My 2nd grader is currently learning cursive now. He will one day need to sign his name to a document so how else do you put your "John Handcock" down legally? Even if my children never use script in their adult lives; I still think it's worthwhile to teach now. It helps with dexterity and helps them make other connections in their brains. Besides who would object to their kids learning new skills?
AmyG1976
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:32 PM
They know it can read it but i dont require them to use it
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I want them to learn it!

I think it is a skill that helps with proper brain development & if you can write it you can read it better!

We have gone over it & I am willing to help them when they are ready to learn it!

coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:19 PM

I think it is a crucial skill.  My youngest started learning it at 3...my oldest was learning in K...but that was the same time my youngest was 3.  They can both read and write in cursive and their friends in PS are always amazed at their handwritting....most of their friends can't read the birthday cards my children make for them because they write them in all in cursive.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:23 PM
I am teaching cursive writing to my children.
kmath
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it is an important skill to learn.  DS is learning it now.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:18 PM
I am teaching them to write in cursive but I will never require it of them. I also don't think we need a bill to enforce it. It should be up to each school and parent whether they learn it or not.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:31 PM

I think it is important to expose cursive to kids so they can read it. But I think it's important to expose kids to Lots of different forms of learning without making it really important. For instance, we introduced cursive - the kids learned the mechanics of the letters and such so they could read cursive. But if they had trouble writing in script then it was perfectly ok. For my eldest it was easier to write in script since the pencil leaves the paper less. But it was not my youngests favorite. As long as they could recognize the letters I'm happy.

Jilectan
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Yes, to all three. Cursive helps kids learn their letters more easily than print, and is helping my dd with her letter reversals. My kids will all be learning cursive, and my youngest is going to learn cursive from the start, when we start her on learning to write. She's picked up some printing, all by herself, but we'll be teaching cursive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)