Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Thinking of Homeschooling.... where to begin?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:57 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hi all I'm new to the group. I'm thinking of homeschooling my kids this next year. My middle daughter was just diagnosed as having ADHD (none hyperactive) and we are a military family. So I considering HS for a while. I have no idea where to being or even how to. I'm thinking that I will give it a go over the summer, we are moving and its a perfect time to try out a HS routine. 

I'm open to any and all advice that you all have. Ready Set GO!

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Do you know where you are moving too? Learning the laws will help you a lot to know what you can & can not do!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:42 PM
Welcome!

I think we have a few military families here. Hope they can help ya!
.oOMellyOo.
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Welllllll...... we should know by Friday :) Korea or Kansas.

Quoting usmom3:

Do you know where you are moving too? Learning the laws will help you a lot to know what you can & can not do!

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Kansas should be easy to find out & Korea if you live on base will be what ever the military's rules are for it!

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

Welllllll...... we should know by Friday :) Korea or Kansas.

Quoting usmom3:

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 6:56 AM

Welcome to the group.  There are a lot of caring ladies here to help.

How To Home School

DyslexiaParent
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:46 PM
2 moms liked this

First thing to do when you find out where you're moving is what the rules are for legally homeschooling.  In Kansas, go to the state DOE website and find out what the requirements are.

As far as the actual schooling part goes, kids with ADHD benefit a great deal from the more focused, one-on-one instruction.  What curricula you choose would depend upon your DD's prefered learning style, whether she reads well, prefers audio-visual learning, etc.  Every child is different, so anything any other family uses may not be the right thing for your DD or your family... It'd help to know more about your DD's specific learning strengths, weaknesses, and preferences. 

There's a lot of info about homeschooling kids with LDs at LearningAbledKids.com, which may help you with figuring out which programs might be beneficial in each subject area.

WELCOME to homeschooling in any case!! It's FUN and it was the best decision we ever made for our guys.. who also happen to have ADHD.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN