Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

summer vacation

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:47 AM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

When do yu ladies take off for summer vac.  How long do you take?  My ol man is a road worker and we travel with him. We have state testing next month. Which is only for truancy reasons it doesnt worry with how well they do or dont do. So im trying to decide when I should start slacking off for easy school or when to take off all together. And thought id see what you ladies do.

by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmath
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:55 AM

We will be off sometime in June.  We have to have 180 days of school so it just depends on when we finish that up.  We won't be taking off, just cutting back some.  We will do a couple weeks of real vacation, but we will be doing review and finishing up anything we didn't get done.

bldjrs123
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

See we dont have any requirements like that... so it makes me wonder when to slack off and just do mostly review stuff... this is our 1st yr and its been a struggle with curric but i finally have "next" years stuff figured out

kmath
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

It is our first year as well, we had the same problem trying to find curric.  I also have been trying to figure out when to give him breaks and when to just keep going.  We will probably end up on a year round schedule next year so we can take off more during the "school" year and not just a big chunk over the summer.

Quoting bldjrs123:

See we dont have any requirements like that... so it makes me wonder when to slack off and just do mostly review stuff... this is our 1st yr and its been a struggle with curric but i finally have "next" years stuff figured out

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this

We do 180 school days, but we school all year round.  We drop to a 3 day school week once we have our 180 days finished.  We take off all of December and all of June.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

We will take off maybe mid way/late May through June. The second or third week of July I will start up again with Math, just because I don't like for them to go too long without it.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

We take off July and the rest is spread out through the year.  We are required 180 days, we tend to do more around 200 days.

JadeTigr7
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

We're not really having a summer vacation.  We'll be taking 2 weeks off in the middle-end of July, and then another week of in August.  We do school year round.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

After Memorial Day weekend we start up with a light load of work until mid-August/beginning of September.

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

We take off for 5-6 weeks. Usually we have the last week of May free, have all of June off, and start again in early July.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

We unschool so learning happens as part of our everyday lives. Vacations are usually just weeks jam packed with field trips that take us farther away from home then I like to drive without hubby!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)