Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

When do yu ladies take off for summer vac.  How long do you take?  My ol man is a road worker and we travel with him. We have state testing next month. Which is only for truancy reasons it doesnt worry with how well they do or dont do. So im trying to decide when I should start slacking off for easy school or when to take off all together. And thought id see what you ladies do.

by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

We have to do 180 days so I keep record of that. We'll hit 180 the first week of May because we only took short breaks throughout this school year. I want to take a nice, loooong summer break. Usually I only take about 6weeks totally OFF, but this has been a very long, hard winter. So we are going to have a lot of time off, maybe 10-12 weeks starting in early May. 

Pools and summer activities won't get going til after public school lets out after Memorial Day, but there is a really awesome amusement park 45 minutes from us that opens in early May. I plan to buy season passes for me and the kids and hopefully get out there a few times in May, before the crowds hit. Then we'll spend a lot of time at the local public pool, going to parks, $1 movie days at the theater, nights at the drive-in, and a couple of short road trips. I can't wait! :)

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

We're taking all of June off, then starting a year-round schedule.  I've got to figure that out but I think we'll do a three-day week during July and August so we can hit up Kings Island Amusement & Water Park on our off days.  Then we can take off more time during the "regular" school year.  My house and gardens will be all the better for it!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

AMEN!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

We're taking all of June off, then starting a year-round schedule.  I've got to figure that out but I think we'll do a three-day week during July and August so we can hit up Kings Island Amusement & Water Park on our off days.  Then we can take off more time during the "regular" school year.  My house and gardens will be all the better for it!

coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:36 AM

We are working January to October.  We will take some time hear and there, but we will have the bulk of the fall off.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:40 AM

The kids are finishing up their curriculum it looks like this year mid April if they keep going at the  pace they are now. I'm just going to finish then, and then do 5 min. a day studies with them (5 min on math, 5 on writing, 5 on w/e subject they wish to do, and 1/2 hr min of reading). I didn't have our techinical summer vacation "scheduled" until mid May. The end of May is when our crazy summer tends to begin so I try to make sure everything is done by then. Crazy summer doesn't end til the end of August usually either, so we take a very long summer vacation lol.

geenabean
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 1:13 PM
There are no attendance requirements here. We will take a week off in April and school until Memorial Day. Then take a week off for camp in June. We are taking the whole month of July off then back at in in August.
motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 4:04 PM

We get done the second week of April 15 this year and then we are out to August 26.However this year i do not know if I want to go that long.

bldjrs123
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 4:42 PM

well we test on april 11 and will be leaving to go to a new place lol so im thinking after testing to call it stops for a while and well not complete stops but slack down to just review of stuff and try to catch my son up some more with reading he is waaayyy behind then start back full force in mid july or early aug...   still trying to decide

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 14, 2014 at 5:03 PM

We homeschool year round, but we go lightly through July and August so we never really take a summer break. We see school as a way of life rather than a job

melindabelcher
by Mel on Mar. 15, 2014 at 7:19 AM
We school all year round.
It's been light since january dh and I are in school full time. So we'll be more focused in summer.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)