Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

More Untruth About American History: It Was Not Over A TeaTax

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:20 AM
  • 16 Replies
2 moms liked this

Many schools today teach that the American Revolution started over a small tea tax (The Boston Tea Party).  But That is not quite true.  It was the  Coercive Acts that sparked the Revolt. 

The Coercive Acts

The Time Line For The American Revolution (Page 1)

The Time Line page 2

by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Last year my older dd's 5th grade social studies book ACTUALLY discussed the Coercive Acts and how the Revolution stemmed from them.  I was glad to see that instead of a painting of tea being thrown into Boston Harbor.

If it's alright to mention the tea: we always take a trip to Johnston Farm in Piqua, Ohio, during the summer.  They have a working canal boat (with mules!).  At the house the guide showed us one of the tea bricks that would have been tossed overboard.  I didn't realize before then that's how the tea would have been shipped.  It makes perfect sense though considering the speed of transportation!

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:56 AM
Wow, I didn't realize it was being taught that way. I guess I just assumed everybody knew that.
LostTheSlipper
Cool. Customization!
Today at 4:20 PM
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

A good history book will teach about this stuff. I don't remember what we were taught in PS when I went to school, but the US history book I used for DS taught it for sure.

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

You are an awesome lady TidewaterClan.  Thanks for sharing.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Last year my older dd's 5th grade social studies book ACTUALLY discussed the Coercive Acts and how the Revolution stemmed from them.  I was glad to see that instead of a painting of tea being thrown into Boston Harbor.

If it's alright to mention the tea: we always take a trip to Johnston Farm in Piqua, Ohio, during the summer.  They have a working canal boat (with mules!).  At the house the guide showed us one of the tea bricks that would have been tossed overboard.  I didn't realize before then that's how the tea would have been shipped.  It makes perfect sense though considering the speed of transportation!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 14, 2014 at 4:51 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm teaching a Myth vs Reality American History class at our local co-op for high schoolers. We are using Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States, as well as tons of documentaries and even Hollywood movies. It's such a fun class that the kids are loving, mostly because they see it as finding out the lies rather than memorizing anything..lol.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 14, 2014 at 5:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Thank you! It is so wonderful to see others wanting their children to know the truth rather then the glorified lies that are usually taught!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 14, 2014 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this
We were taught these seperately, with barely a reference to the tea party as having any relevance with any of it.
TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for making my day Roma.  Right back at you, btw. :)

Quoting romacox:

You are an awesome lady TidewaterClan.  Thanks for sharing.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:37 AM
4 moms liked this
I was taught that it all started because of the Boston Tea Party, I'm 31 if that gives timeframe of when I was taught that. I never heard anything about the Coercive Acts. DH just said something a few months ago about the Boston Tea Party not being a main cause and I was so confused.

I have sooooo much history to learn, luckily I get to learn it along with my kids now. I love hsing!

If anyone wants to send me info/ideas for teaching actual history, please feel free to do so!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)