Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

More Untruth About American History: It Was Not Over A TeaTax

Posted by   + Show Post

Many schools today teach that the American Revolution started over a small tea tax (The Boston Tea Party).  But That is not quite true.  It was the  Coercive Acts that sparked the Revolt. 

The Coercive Acts

The Time Line For The American Revolution (Page 1)

The Time Line page 2

by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:20 AM
Replies (11-16):
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Where can I find resources to teach real history?
romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 4:51 PM
  1. I started with old dictionaries, and old text books.  
Quoting Dawn07: Where can I find resources to teach real history?

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

T JandKarasMom, I too was taught that the Boston Tea Party started the Revolution.  I was an adult before I heard any differently.  I was listening to a video by Judge Napolitano, and he mentioned the Coercive.Acts.  As a result I looked them up,  and learned some  true history.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: I was taught that it all started because of the Boston Tea Party, I'm 31 if that gives timeframe of when I was taught that. I never heard anything about the Coercive Acts. DH just said something a few months ago about the Boston Tea Party not being a main cause and I was so confused. I have sooooo much history to learn, luckily I get to learn it along with my kids now. I love hsing! If anyone wants to send me info/ideas for teaching actual history, please feel free to do so!

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you!

Quoting romacox:
  1. I started with old dictionaries, and old text books.  
Quoting Dawn07: Where can I find resources to teach real history?

PinkButterfly66
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:24 PM

The Coercive Acts were passed AFTER the Tea rebellion.

"Upset by the Boston Tea Party and other blatant acts of destruction of British property by American colonists, the British Parliament enacts the Coercive Acts, to the outrage of American Patriots, on this day in 1774."

The rebellion by the Colonists over taxation without representation certainly caused the British to respond.  This just gave the colonists more reason to rebell.  

I really don't see how the claim can be made that the did not colonists rebelled against Britain before the Coercive Acts.  The Tea Party WAS an act of rebellion.  Revolutions take time to start and usually begin with rebellions.

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 8:00 AM

I am sure the King of England viewed the behavior of the colonists as treason, and  likely  felt justified in cracking down on the colonies, and forcibly invading their homes without any due process....even if they had not personally  participated in the Boston Tea Party.     This is what monarchies/ dictators do.  

Living so far from the realm, the colonists did not receive the protection and benefits that most British subjects received...they were already governing themselves.  To the colonists it was unfair to have to pay for benefits that only those close to the realm received.  But the King did not see it that way.  They were subjects, and subjects do not have inalienable rights.  Subjects have only the rights granted to them by their King. Two different ideologies can create two different perspectives...even today.

So there are two sides.  However it cannot be ignored (as it was in my education) that there was much more to it then the Boston Tea Party.  The colonists tried many diplomatic approaches for their grievances before declaring their separation from the King's Rule (Declaration Of Independence). I am sure that declaration also made the King feel justified in declaring war against the colonies.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

The Coercive Acts were passed AFTER the Tea rebellion.

"Upset by the Boston Tea Party and other blatant acts of destruction of British property by American colonists, the British Parliament enacts the Coercive Acts, to the outrage of American Patriots, on this day in 1774."

The rebellion by the Colonists over taxation without representation certainly caused the British to respond.  This just gave the colonists more reason to rebell.  

I really don't see how the claim can be made that the did not colonists rebelled against Britain before the Coercive Acts.  The Tea Party WAS an act of rebellion.  Revolutions take time to start and usually begin with rebellions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN