Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are homeschoolers more likely to breastfeed?

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:31 AM
  • 106 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Do you/did you breastfeed, cloth diaper, co-sleep or baby wear?

Options:

Yes. I did/do all four

No. I didn't/don't do any of them.

I only do/did a few. *Comment below*

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 83

View Results

So I was telling my sister about my other post, "what does baby need?" yesterday. I mentioned that breastfeeding, cloth diapering and baby wearing and co-sleeping got thrown around a lot. She said, "Well yeah." "Don't you know almsot all homeschoolers are crunchy hippies like you?" (She's always teasing me,lol.)

So that got me wondering...

by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:34 AM

I don't cloth diaper and a didn't baby wear in the traditional sense. I had a carrier for Pack Meetings and a few other things I needed both hands for. I breast fed for different lengths, each of my kids but I have no issue with FFing. I don't believe in infant co sleeping.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:37 AM

See, one broke the mold already,lol.

Quoting mem82:

I don't cloth diaper and a didn't baby wear in the traditional sense. I had a carrier for Pack Meetings and a few other things I needed both hands for. I breast fed for different lengths, each of my kids but I have no issue with FFing. I don't believe in infant co sleeping.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:40 AM
I'm not a crunchy mom in any sense of the word! I only nursed a few months with each, haven't seen a cloth diaper since I was a kid,when that was the only kind that existed and I absolutely refuse to share my bed with anyone I gave birth to. That whole baby wearing thing is just not for me. I couldn't imagine being tethered to a kid lol. I like my "space bubble":)
Precious333
by Julia on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:41 AM
2 moms liked this
Yeah, Im a bit crunchy lol. I always coslept, breastfed and babywore. Cloth diaper i added with my last three. Not all my homeschooling friends are like me, but quite a bit are.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:44 AM

I don't like to be stereotyped. I'm a rebel, you see.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting mem82:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:48 AM

LOL!

Quoting mem82:

I don't like to be stereotyped. I'm a rebel, you see.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting mem82:

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Ha! I'm going to show my sister this,lol.

Quoting Leissaintexas: I'm not a crunchy mom in any sense of the word! I only nursed a few months with each, haven't seen a cloth diaper since I was a kid,when that was the only kind that existed and I absolutely refuse to share my bed with anyone I gave birth to. That whole baby wearing thing is just not for me. I couldn't imagine being tethered to a kid lol. I like my "space bubble":)

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I co-slept, breastfed and baby wore out of self preservation,lol. I needed sleep and the sound of babies crying drives me up a wall!

Quoting Precious333: Yeah, Im a bit crunchy lol. I always coslept, breastfed and babywore. Cloth diaper i added with my last three. Not all my homeschooling friends are like me, but quite a bit are.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:58 AM

So I breastfed (tried to do 12 months for each, but some of them weaned themselves earlier), I had a wrap so I could wear the baby while I shopped (ya know, there's no 5 kid seating for grocery carts!), but I'm a big believer in disposables (did cloth as a nanny and HATED it), and co-slept in the sense that I would always fall asleep while breastfeeding.

My sister, who has always homeschooled (I started in the middle of my oldest's 4th grade), is the hippie crunchy gal your sister is thinking about.  Her youngest will be 2 at the end of this month and has been toilet trained forever, she started on the toilet at birth with her last two, gave birth at home, and I believe sleeps in a bed of granola.  :)

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:16 PM
4 moms liked this

I did all 4.  I wasn't trying to prove anything (not that you implied that, but I think my friends and family did, lol).  It was just an inexpensive and easy way to do things!  And all 3 kids grew up healthy, smart, happy, confident, and independent.  Why doesn't everyone (who doesn't need another caregiver) do these things??  In my opinion:

Breastfeeding - cheap, easy, and convenient.  

Co sleeping - easy and convenient and I never had sleepless nights.

Baby Wearing - omg, a lifesaver.  The kids were always so content and happy.  It was comfortable, easy, and wonderful to have my hands free.  

Cloth diapers - did this only with my last child.  I wish I'd known how great they were when I had my other 2 kids.  I think I spent less than $300 on 2 years of cloth diapering.  My son never had a rash.  Washing was so incredibly easy, once I had the system down.  I even made my own fleece liners and used only homemade detergent.  Cloth diapers are addicting (and only other cloth users will understand, lol)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN